Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get started as a "newbie"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jclongenex

I have been hiring "outsourced" EEs to design a project for me. Lately, I am interested in doing PCB design, and I would like to know where I can begin. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I know a few things, but not nearly enough.

I'm also looking for cheap PCB manufacturers who can do a 10x20 mm board

Last edited by a moderator:
also look for other free pcboard versions. EAGLE may be a bit of a "brain hemorage" in the beginning, but is worth it. i used a coupe of others at first. Some are easy to learn then others.

From HK. Per 2 square metres.

That's a waste of US$149,999.70 if something went wrong with the prototype! (If my calculation is correct.)

Better try https://www.bilex-lp.com (Bulgaria).

Minimum board size should be 160X100mm and cost approximately 30EURO for a double sided board with HAL (Hot Air Leveling), double sided solder stop and single sided component print.

Just make multiple PCB-copies for one file to obtain the minimum size. Don't order cutting! (It will be done automatically without extra charge.) Leave a gap of at least 1.2mm for the cutting tool (ideally 1.27mm) between single boards.

For special arrangements contact Mr. Hristo Ginov, the company leader.

The URL can be selected using German or English. Just look out for flags!

Boncuk

Last edited:
From HK. Per 2 square metres.
Oh. I think I'll stick to the guys in China, which are >100x times cheaper (I should have worked that out before...), double sided copper/soldermask/overlay.

PCBcart[dot]c*m cheap and reliable chinese service!

As for design: Cut you teeth with Express PCB (free dowload with schematic software included), see how you get on! The schematic software is worth having anyway.

I porgressd for there to Sprint PCB (about 40EUR) which is really easy to use and include some great tools.

RS components in the UK have launched Design Spark, do you have RS where you are? It's a very professional package and has no pin count limits (unlike Eagle, which is now part of the Farnell group). But it is MASSIVE and takes some getting used to! The libraries are built from RS stock, not just generic parts so BOM generation is really simple. Me personally i would rather just lay out a dip16 package and label the pins than serch through every opamp RS have. But it's free, but more of a professional option i would say!

Last edited:
just checked out pcbcart and it's $114.30 for the same service seeedstudio provides for $10 i.e. QTY 10 of 50x50mm double-sided tracks/soldermask/overlay

just checked out pcbcart and it's $114.30 for the same service seeedstudio provides for $10 i.e. QTY 10 of 50x50mm double-sided tracks/soldermask/overlay

Sorry, you say you can get 10 50x50mm pcb, double sided FR4 for $10?? I don't believe you, i'm no being rude but the silkscreen would cost more than that to fabricate surely! I work for a CEM and have never heard of pricing of $1 per board including tooling even on 1,000s. Can you send me a screen grab of the quote please? That sounds very much like it's either not with tooling, or it a cost per. BTW my PCBcart came out at $93 with delivery. That's about the same as your $10 if it is per board. I would check that, and if it is rioght i have a couple of orders to place!

Actually, I lied. It's $9.90.

Anyway, here's the link: https://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/fusion-pcb-service-p-835.html?cPath=185

They have a bunch of maximum board dimensions (you can make boards smaller than the limits) with different price break-downs. I've used them twice and they're good.
Thanks for that. This is one of the companies printing multiple boards on one panel, hence the prices. very interesting, but they want a fair bit for delivery. What have you ordered from them in the past? Anything other than their standard sizes? Delivery times any good? Do you have a photo of one of their boards? Its a very interesting link, thanks!

>> but they want a fair bit for delivery.
It's only $5 to me in Aus.

>> What have you ordered from them in the past?
Just some breakout-type boards and some simple uC/audio circuits.

>> Anything other than their standard sizes?
You can go up to 200x200, and any size below that. You could always ask them if you need some larger size.

>> Delivery times any good?
It was 2 weeks to me using the super-cheap postage. They offer some express service as well. It took a week for the boards to be manufactured.

>> Do you have a photo of one of their boards?
One's attached. You'll see that the overlay is not superb, but the tracks and mask are (which are the things that generally matter). The pcb I had done previously had better overlay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back