Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to get right value out of adaptor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokira247

i had a question that is confusing me

if u had an adapter which gives 1.5,3,4.5,6,7.5,9,12 volt using a switch

when u move the switch let's say to 3v and measure it with voltmeter it gives 5.5v and when i move the switch to give 12v and measure it with voltmeter it gives 18.5 volt

i read on a site that u only get this voltage at full load so if the adapter is 12 1A
u must use all of the 1A to get 12v out put

and here comes the question let's say i am making a digital clock circuit and in the schematic it says use 5.5 let's say 6v how to get this value from the adapter as when i move the switch to 6v i will get may be 8.5v output as the clock will not consume all of 1A adapter and so making it at full load

also for this example of circuit types u can't calculate exactly the ampere needed to use adapter of the exact value

so how can i get the right value

Or put a regulator in your clock. Then it would be able to handle a much wider range of input voltages.

Buy a regulated adaptor, the un-regulated ones (like you have) are completely useless.
That's not true, unregulated adaptors are good for projects with built-in regulators or which don't need a regulated supply.

My advice in this case is to add an LM7805.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back