Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get a job ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm from egypt, i've a BSc in electronics and communications (fresh graduate ) and I do love electronics , embedded systems ..etc , but there's no chance for me to work here as there are no factories , companies about that , and i tried to send my CV to usa companies bu no reply :( , maybe they wont hire me because im very far and still fresh .. :( whats ur opinion ? what can i do ?

The USA, and the western world in general, is in a recession. There are more people looking for work in the USA than there are jobs. So no need to import foreign labor.
They may not hire you because a BSc from Egypt may not be recognized in the USA.
Maybe there are other countries in the middle east or Africa who are looking for people.
What languages do you speak besides English and Arabic?

China has a good market for EE's. Pay may be less, but cost of living there is pretty moderate. I was in China for 3 months and I really liked the people there.

Depending on the size of the city you are living in, how about starting out with your own business, e.g. an electronic shop and designing circuits according to customer specifications - discovering market niches?

I started out the same way 1985 and finally made 120,000 EURO annually as a one-man-company.

That of course would mean 18 hours of work daily.

Boncuk

Last edited:
Move to China or even Thailand; that's where most of the electronics jobs are.

Move to China or even Thailand; that's where most of the electronics jobs are.

Just for info:

Employment of foreigners is prohibited by law in Thailand for privately run companies. Working for the government foreigners receive a formal government work permit.

Thailand has a pretty high rate of unemployment and doesn't want to increase the problem by importing workmenship from overseas.

You might consider joining the official church (Bhuddism) in Thailand staying there as a registered monk for three years and one day (not less!). After that time you are considered to be Thai (including a passport indicating Thai citizenship) and can do whatever you want in that country. Moreover you'll have priviledges other than any "normal Thai", e.g. free rides on cross country buses. :D

You might shorten the process by getting married to a Thai woman (real officially registered marriage, not just telling in a temple "Yes, I want the bride" :)).

Your wife might establish a company in her name (free of charge) and you share the work and the profit. Being officially married to a Thai wife you have the same rights as she has, other than inofficially married, meaning you have no rights at all, not even living in the house which was constructed with you having paid for it.

So be careful selecting the right wife. Do not select one who has won her brains in the lottery! :)

Establishing a company as "farang" (non-asian) the charge is 150,000Baht (US$4,285.00).

Remember: Thailand is part of South-East-Asia and some habits are more than strange to foreigners.

Any more questions about Thailand?

Boncuk

Last edited:
Remember: Thailand is part of South-East-Asia and some habits are more than strange to foreigners

and what are those habits ???

Actually I have been to Thailand many times on business..

Last edited:
Just for info:

Employment of foreigners is prohibited by law in Thailand for privately run companies. Working for the government foreigners receive a formal government work permit.
I didn't know that.

That's a form a economic protectionism and seldom benefits the economy in the long term.

China will probably be just as bad so I suppose that rules it out.

I know Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Hong are all involved in the electronics industry; you could always look at other parts of south east Asia.

Thailand has a pretty high rate of unemployment and doesn't want to increase the problem by importing workmenship from overseas.
We have similar arguments about foreign workers over here, there are advantages as well as disadvantages.

I can understand that if foreigners started working then it would annoy people but they won't be stealing any jobs if they have skills that the natives don't or are doing jobs that no one else wants to do.

Foreign workers also pay tax and spend money in the country which contributes to the economy.

You might shorten the process by getting married to a Thai woman (real officially registered marriage, not just telling in a temple "Yes, I want the bride" :)).
Simple buy a Thai bride off ebay. :D

I t

and what are those habits ???

Actually I have been to Thailand many times on business..

There are lots of habits differing from those in Europe or the USA.

E.g. if I don't like my neighbor I have a police officer do the job for me getting rid of him. Pay him 5,000Baht and he will do the job to your satisfaction. :)

Possible in your country? :)

Another example: To earn the amount of money you want (need) you have to be flexible in Europe and elsewhere, meaning you must be ready to change location.

Not so in Thailand. People are born at a certain place and normally don't leave it, except for a small break when they have a good job at Bangkok or another big city, but normally for no longer than two months.

The reasons for those habits are family life. Thais have a very close family life and contact to every member of the (sometimes huge) family. Going to Thailand for a business trip you won't really see the difference.

Stay on the country side close to a Thai family and you'll see a lot of different habits and also a lot of different behaviour in certain situations. :D (If Thais observe you falling on your butts they normally laugh their's off, not only because you're "farang", but because you've had the Joker) :D

You might have observed the most annoying habit when dining with Thais. With the mouth full of food they talk and sometimes a lot of it drops back on the table or onto their laps.

That is really not amusing! :mad: (and makes me vomit right on the dining table!)

Last edited:
Simple buy a Thai bride off ebay. :D

I t

Guaranteed a brainless one who has won her brains in the lottery!

BTW, many Thais seem to have won their driver's license in the lottery as well. :)

There are lots of habits differing from those in Europe or the USA.
Europe is not one country but many, each with their own different cultures and ways of doing things.

E.g. if I don't like my neighbor I have a police officer do the job for me getting rid of him. Pay him 5,000Baht and he will do the job to your satisfaction. :)

Possible in your country? :)
That's certainly possible in parts of eastern Europe, e.g. Russia, Ukraine, Belarus.

Another example: To earn the amount of money you want (need) you have to be flexible in Europe and elsewhere, meaning you must be ready to change location.

Not so in Thailand. People are born at a certain place and normally don't leave it, except for a small break when they have a good job at Bangkok or another big city, but normally for no longer than two months.
No one needs to move, some people stay living in poor areas, it's just that others prefer to move and make more money.

The reasons for those habits are family life. Thais have a very close family life and contact to every member of the (sometimes huge) family. Going to Thailand for a business trip you won't really see the difference.
Families here range from broken single parent families to people of Asian origin who seem to have 10 odd brothers and sisters and 100s of extended family.

Europe is not one country but many, each with their own different cultures and ways of doing things.

but very similar cultures! (except for Great Britain. They like the bacon crispy (as a shoe sole) and salty :))

No one needs to move, some people stay living in poor areas, it's just that others prefer to move and make more money.

Correct! What would you do?

Families here range from broken single parent families to people of Asian origin who seem to have 10 odd brothers and sisters and 100s of extended family.

That says absolutely nothing about family life! Be precise!

but very similar cultures!
I would disagree, you can't compare Italians with the Irish with the Russians.

(except for Great Britain. They like the bacon crispy (as a shoe sole) and salty :))
Smoky bacon is my favourite.

That says absolutely nothing about family life! Be precise!
I can't be precise, family life varies so much.

I come from a typical middle class family who live in a fairly reasonable area. I have two younger siblings, a brother and a sister.

My parents moved down to Bedford (between London, Cambridge and Leicester) from Warrington (between Manchester and Liverpool) because my dad was offered a better job. Most of my relatives still live in Warrington, just a few miles away where my grandparents (deceased) used to live.

The woman who used to live next to my grandmother was a typical example of a single parent family. She had many children, each with different fathers. She didn't work and got all of her money from benefits and child support taken from the children's fathers. Here in the UK if a man gets a women pregnant he is legally bound to contribute financially to the upbringing of the children, even if he doesn't remain in the relationship.

Here in the UK a gay couple can also legally adopt children, there are same sex couples with many children.

Some people of Asian origin, have large numbers of children and several generations all live in the same house.

Family life here is so diverse one could write a book on the subject.

That's exactly what I was getting at:

Family life doesn't play a great role in Europe. Knowing to have a family (belonging somewhere) is sufficient for most of them.

Family life in Thailand is much different: Everybody takes care of the other and in distress the entire family stands up as one man! (Kick boxing, of course!)

I may know more about Thai culture than you might think. The UK is very multicultural, the town where I live has a Mosque, Hindu, Sikh and Buddhist temples and there are more foreign than English children at the school where my sister works. I am familiar with Asian food as there are plenty of Thai, Indian, Chinese people who have come to this country and set up restaurants.

I know that people in other countries tend to get exposed to American culture more than UK culture and some tend to assume that the UK is similar to the US when it isn't.

Last edited:
I think this time is very difficult because recession period. You have to do more preparation for the interview.
You can try in another country also, if you wish. You are well qualified and you will get a good job but the thing is that you have to be patient. I suggest that make your preparations well.
Good Luck for your future.

Hi, I'm from egypt, i've a BSc in electronics and communications (fresh graduate ) and I do love electronics , embedded systems ..etc , but there's no chance for me to work here as there are no factories , companies about that , and i tried to send my CV to usa companies bu no reply :( , maybe they wont hire me because im very far and still fresh .. :( whats ur opinion ? what can i do ?
You won't like an honest answer. Here is the list of priorities most electronics companies have in hiring electrical engineers these days:

1) You must speak Chinese.

2) big plus if you also ARE Chinese.

The prediliction for hiring Chinese engineers is not necessarily racism based, it is greed driven.

The world's largest and soon to be gigantic market for electronics is pacific rim, and mainly China. They are westernizing and want the kinds of consumer luxury items we have.

Being Chinese is a huge plus because then the engineer can speak to the customer in their language, understands their customs, which gives them an "in" that gets them around what has been (and still is) a racist culture that is suspicious of the west and our values.

The other advantage is that if the companies hire Chinese, they get employees who do not view forced travel to pacific rim as a burden, they see it as a trip home and a chance to visit relatives. The employees will pay a chunk of the travel cost if they get a few days off unpaid to hang out there and visit around. Most people based here see that 18 hour plane ride to Hong Kong as a major pain in the rear and coming back a relief.

I was hired 20 years ago into an electronics company. About ten years ago was the line of demarcation: after that, every engineer hired into our group was Chinese. Notice I did not say Asian, I did not say a person of of Chinese descent: they were Chinese nationals here on work Visas. That's a big plus as well because companies know they can underpay them... remaining in country depends on staying employed, they are not as "mobile" as citizen employees.

So, as time went by, the Monday staff meetings gradually shifted in tone. The year before I was laid off, I was the last non-Chinese engineer left in the group. Believe me, you get the message sitting in a conference room with 14 other people and they are all chatting away in a foreign language.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back