Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get 2vdc from an 18vdc solar panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

I need 2v at about 30a DC 24 hrs per day for 7 to 10 days. Before I wind my own transformer and build a power supply I was wondering if there is an easy way to get 2v from a 18v solar panel. I have 9 solar panels they are 15W each. 135W total if they are all connected in parallel. I could connect the panels to a DC to AC inverter to get 120 VAC then build a transformer to step it down to 2v but if I have to build a step down transformer I can just plug it into the wall outlet 120 vac and forget the solar panels.

What is the easiest lease expensive way to get 2vdc 30a 24 hours per day for 10 days each time?

One more thing i need is 114 degrees F or 10 days too. I can use 120 vac to power a 240 vac hot water heater element with a thermostate. My meter shows the heating element is 2 ohms. Experiments show the heating element will heat 5 gallons of water to 114 degrees 0n 120v with a thermostat.

I need to do electrolysis of salt water at 114 degrees F with carbon rods for 7 to 10 days 2v at 30a.

Any ideas?

You could buy these and use one on each panel. They're rated at 3A each so should handle 2.11A easily. You may need to use balancing resistors on the outputs.

Mike.

1) You'll need a fairly substantial bank of batteries, because your solar panels won't work very well once the sun goes down.
2) Inverters are VERY inefficient. Can't you connect some panels in series and some in parallel to get closer to what you need?
3) It would be WAY cheaper to just plug in a transformer(s) to the wall. e.g, Hook up 3 of these (https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/triad-magnetics/VPL2-10000/237-1646-ND/4835105) in parallel to get what you need.
4) WHY do you need to "do electrolysis of salt water at 114 degrees F with carbon rods"?? You're going to end up with toxic and corrosive chlorine gas, a mess, and a gas mixture ripe for an explosion . PLEASE tell me this isn't some "Brown's gas" or "HHO" foolishness!

Grid tie the solar panels then run everything else off normal AC utility power that way even when you are not doing your electrolysis the solar panels are still doing something useful in cutting your utility bill down a bit.

2 volts @30 amps plus likely power supply losses for 10 days would use ~ 25 KWH which if you can't afford that you can't afford to build anything else to make the discombobulated all solar power concept work either.

Especially since the system base load just for the electrolysis power would be ~110 watts per hour and your solar panels in realistic working conditions are not likely going to produce that for more than a hour or two a day unless they have some sort of active sun tracking system which even then still leaves you with a net energy deficit for all the hours the sun isn't up or bright enough to meet the~100 watt base load.

Last edited:
Electrolysis of salt water will produce Sodium Hypochlorite or bleach as it's more commonly known. Just buy it from a pool suppliers.

Mike.

If you really need 2V then consider a 2V cell rather than a 'battery' of 2V cells.
Some people come up with some wacky ideas asking for help in the design of something. Quite often there are contributors with far more experience who can explain the flaws. Listen to them - or at least be prepared for your idea to fail and accept that all you'll get is some lessons in life.

Some people come up with some wacky ideas asking for help in the design of something. Quite often there are contributors with far more experience who can explain the flaws. Listen to them - or at least be prepared for your idea to fail and accept that all you'll get is some lessons in life.

That is one of the advantages of forums in being able to have others pick apart a concept and put real numbers to the idea and compare that to alternative options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back