Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get 20V 3.25A 65W max out of a car battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKC_VX

I need it to charge my laptop?
I guess the car battery is 12-14V but dont know amperes and power(wattage).
also please I dont want the output current to exceed 3.25 apmeres and not to exceed 20V.

thanx to all

Car batteries are rated for a very large amount of current, much more than 3.25 amps. If you hook it directly up to the car battery the voltage is not stable and will occasionally jump very high, in the hundreds of volts I understand for short periods of time. I expect putting a sufficiently large filter cap would alleviate this problem, but I'm sure there are better, and more complex ways to filter it. It will for the most part remain stable at running voltage, which I think is about 14v.

The output current is not really affected by the battery, the laptop will draw however much current it needs from the car battery so long as the voltage is in the acceptable range, usually from about 10-20v.

You need a switching regulator, boost configuration. Check out the LM3524D data sheet, it has schematics and design equations. You can download the datasheet from: **broken link removed**

Did you check the prices of the 12VDC/120VAC inverters?
Maybe it's not worth the trouble (unless you prefer DIY).

Yes, depend from your location inverter is your best option.
Recently I purchased for $29 a 400Watt 12-120v inverter.
You can try to open it an modify for your needs !?
If you count the parts, heatsink, transformers, can't make it under $50 unless you have many parts on stock.

Steve :idea:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back