Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to finish project

Status
Not open for further replies.

dano

I recently finished a latching continuity tester. The project turned out great, but I want to label the switches , lights and knob. I really don't want to use labels from a label maker. I want something that looks more professional. I also would like to do it myself if possible. Something along the lines of screen printing.
Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Dan

Could you print it on a label (Avery full sheet for example?) from your computer printer? Then punch out holes for the switches , lights and knob with a paper punch?

Another option would be to iron it on.

What I've been doing recently is designing my front panels using a DTP program, then printing it out on paper and laminating it. Cut the laminated design out and glue it to the front of the project - nice and shiney, colourful, and water resistant (except for the edges of course).

Thanks for the ideas, what I was really hoping for was a look like this:

**broken link removed**

dano said:
Thanks for the ideas, what I was really hoping for was a look like this:

**broken link removed**

It's possibly done using rub-down letters, Letraset used to be a trade name for such things - you position the letters one at a time and rub them through the backing transferring the letters to the case. When finished you spray it with clear varnish to protect them.

With a bit of practice (and skill) you can get excellent results.

This is just a thought ,, if you can get an engraver and letter and number punches , do all your engraving and punching to what your happy with, paint your main colour (spray with acrylic auto paint) a few coats , let it dry then paint all the engravings etc , then when that drys you can block sand (wet and dry 600 )over the top and it will take any over paints out and leave the colours in the low spots , when that drys give it a few coats of clear,

Only a thought

Using the Toner Transfer Process

I've had good luck using the same toner transfer process used for making the PCB to make lettering for a complex front panel. The hitch is that the panel must be flat. You print out the toner transfer sheet with the lettering/panel as a mirror image and then transfer it as you would to a PCB. Using a metal front panel, it takes a lot more heat for a longer period of time to transfer the lettering.

The newer Dymo labeling systems are a lot nicer than the older plastic tape with embossed letters system. I believe you can get your tape for those on a clear background.

Dry transfer lettering is still a pretty good option, but you'll need to seal the lettering if you want it to endure. Several coats of clear Krylon work well. Let each coat dry and spray on THIN coats. Thick coats can lift the lettering.

Check out scrapbooking stores for options on lettering and systems for making "stickers". Zytron I believe is a brand to look for.

In the old days, we'd put Scotch Magic Tape onto another strip of Magic Tape on a piece of paper and use an IBM Selectric to type what we wanted with its opaque ribbon. Another piece of tape over the top of that and you peel off the second layer and apply to the project.

I've tried running an overhead projection film ("flimsy") through a laser printer and using cement to adhere it to the project. Photo mounting adhesive may work for this. Haven't tried that yet.

Silk screening is the professional way to do it. You may have a college or vo-tech in your area with a commercial art program with the equipment to do that at a low cost to you.

Dean

Thanks for the replys. I'll post back when I finish the project. I'm leaning toward the rub on letters. This appears to be about the least expensive option.

Dan

Finishing a project - labels

I've had excellent results using wet transfer decals. They are primarily used in hobby model making.

A good source is

https://www.tangopapadecals.com/ (no affiliation). Try their sampler pack.

Basically you can print the labels directly on the paper if you have a laser printer. If not, print them on regular paper and take it to a copy shop to have a color photocopy made. Cut out the label, soak it in water and slides off.

Looks great,
Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back