Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to find the loudest 2 inch speaker ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Externet

Looking for a 50mm speaker, round, that can be the loudest for its size. Voice range. Better if 4Ω. Suggestions welcome.
Chinese products have their chinese Watts very wrong. Any educated relation/chart from its magnet size/weight to power handling capability ?

It is a tweeter or a squeaker, not a speaker. It is used in over-the-ear headphones. A cheap clock radio uses a 3" speaker and its small size sounds pretty bad. Name Brand speaker manufacturers do not make a full range speaker that small but Chinese do.

Because it is small its maximum allowed power is about 2W and it will not be as loud as a larger speaker.

It is a headphone transducer, not a loudspeaker. It needs to move only a tiny amount of air so in a headphone you hear bass low frequencies. But in a room its tiny movement of air can barely be heard.
The "sensitivity" spec is missing the distance maybe because it is Chinese. The distance for the sensitivity spec for a speaker is usually 1 metre. Can you hear good sound from a headphone at such a distance??

A half decent speaker has a datasheet that shows its frequency response. Not with this cheap Chinese junk.
Hee, hee. Its rated power is 5W. Into its 50 ohms the voltage needed to produce 5W is 15.9V RMS and its amplifier would need a supply that is about 48V to 50V.

I've been around a long time and never found anything that small which is worth listening to. A good quality speaker may have the power output handling if you don't mind scratchy sound

FYI without the decibel in radio communications it would make a lot of calculations very complicated and my life a nightmare, preserve the decibel

I have a little bluetooth speaker that's around 50mm diameter and the sound quality is amazing. Speakers have improved vastly over the last 20 years.

Mike.

Yes, my son bought a small cheap Chinese bluetooth speaker that sounded good. But it stopped working after only 2 weeks and since it was Chinese it had no guarantee.

I heard a small Bose speaker at Costco. Its sound was amazing but its $200.00 price was about 10 times its value.

Have a look throigh monacor's range of 2" drivers, not sure if thats your kinda thing, they are probably made in china but are a little higher quality than found in a tranny radio:
Theres a range of 2 inchers, prices are in deutsche marks.
**broken link removed**

Notwithstanding the sentence at the end of the list that says ' .. .. prices in GBP ' ?

S

Oops sorry I did post that at 6 am this morning.
My bad.

Good book that, dont remember that comment though.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good quip!

JimB

I was going to mention that K-Array in Italy make some good quality high-excursion 2" drivers, but since AG has already pointed out that only the Chinese make them and everything the Chinese make is crap then I shan't bother.

There are some very impressive drivers of 2" and lower size. The trick is high excursion and the tradeoff is efficiency - basically they just throw power at them and use equalisation in DSP to achieve a good sound. Many of these drivers are probably run below resonance, which is unusual for a traditional hifi cabinet. In modern battery powered applications (the bluetooth speakers we've all heard) the low efficiency of the speaker (sorry.... squeaker) is probably more then made up for by the increased efficiency of using a class-D amplifier.

Externet: Is your goal maximum SPL or maximum efficiency? Are you hoping for a full-range sound or can you trade off some bass?
In all honesty, I can't offer any more practical advice than to buy some and try them out I'm afraid.

The kind of cabinet can affect operation below resonance, cant quite recall but I think a sealed cab rather than a vented one would be a good idea.
All kinds of stuff happens at high excursion, harmonic breakup of the cone & other junk.
The chinese make some impressive military equipment, but I spose that isnt for sale.

The most expensive Monacor 2" speaker resonates at 157Hz where its output level is -5dB below maximum at higher frequencies. They claim that it can survive 15W(!). If you feed it 15W at 50Hz then the output sound at a distance of 1m is only 82dB.
Their cheapest 2" speaker is 3W but has only its size and weight for spec's.

The K-Array little 2" speakers are already installed in an enclosure and cost a fortune. They produce frequencies down to about 200Hz but can survive 18W(!). Their 101dB sensitivity is unbelievable unless it is measured at a very high peak in the frequency response.

...Externet: Is your goal maximum SPL or maximum efficiency? Are you hoping for a full-range sound or can you trade off some bass?
In all honesty, I can't offer any more practical advice than to buy some and try them out I'm afraid.

Thanks, gentlemen.
Voice range only. Intelligibility at 6 metres is the important part, STI, which implies some decent SPL. Ambient is quiet outdoors, no walls, no echoes.
About a dozen mostly chinese ordered have arrived; been canibalizing from equipment, and more coming for evaluation. Will visit a wreckyard to see what is available there, seen good 'unlisted' surprises before...

Exploring/scratching head :
----> **broken link removed**

----> https://flattspeakers.com/OEM-0202.php

With obvious lies :
----> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pc...-857b-4dac-94dc-0ce70b4c512f&rmStoreLevelAB=2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back