Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to find the loudest 2 inch speaker ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a North American guy with a normal sounding voice. My voice frequency is about 100Hz.
Some weird guys in a call center on the other side of the world phone me every day to try to sell me Duck Cleaning have a voice at 300Hz to 400Hz and sound like chipmunks.

Some of these tiny speakers claim "full range" from 170Hz on up without a graph and without saying if 170Hz is -3dB or is -30dB.
One datasheet that shows a graph has the output level dropping very steeply below 200Hz.

These tiny speakers will produce the chipmunk voice of a weird guy on the other side of the world if he is very close to you. They should also produce women's and children's voices if they are near to you.

True, you won't get a rich reproduction without a good response to 100Hz, but for intelligibility the classic telephone band of 300Hz-3kHz is adequate.

Externet - will be interested in your findings, keep us posted.
Do you intend to build a column/line speaker, or will it be used as a single unit?

I cannot understand speech from Chipmunks who produce no normal male vocal sounds near 100Hz. I also cannot understand speech that has no important consonant sounds that reach up to 14kHz. That is why letters must be spoken on a telephone or on a horrible narrow bandwidth radio: Charlie Foxtrot, and numbers are messed up: un, oo, ree, or, ive, ix instead of hearing 1-6.

So probably something with as higher power handling/largest magnet you can get, and a relatively stiff suspension for voice reproduction - probably a bit different to the kinds of drivers used in portable bluetooth speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back