Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to drive a a 6V solenoid lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like your lock takes much more than 800mA and the power supply is shutting down.

Mike.

It sounds like your lock takes much more than 800mA and the power supply is shutting down.

Mike.

I don't understand. The boost converter is rated the following:

1.Electrical characteristics
1). The maximum output current: 2 a
2). The input voltage: 2 v ~ 24 v
3). The maximum output voltage: 28 v
4). Efficiency: >93%

Does it mean that the lock is drawing too much current causing the boost converter to shut down? When it shuts down, the output voltage will drop to 1V and stay there forever until I remove the input battery supply?

Somehow its working now after I changed the battery. But when the solenoid is switched on, i hear a high pitch sound coming from the boost converter. Its disappears when the solenoid is turned off.

I will measure the DC resistance tomorrow in the lab and let you know.

the output voltage will drop to 1V
I think your battery can not support the load.
You want 6.5V at 800mA to get that you must pull 1.6A from 3.25V battery. When the voltage goes 1:2 the current must also go 2:1.
With a boost supply, if the output is stuck at 1V then there is a good chance that the battery voltage has dropped to 2V. (please measure)

I found more information on the supply. I thing it is good for 800mA but not a lot more.
If your battery voltage drops much the input current will go up more. You might need 2A from the battery to do this job. You might decease the output voltage some. That will reduce the current from the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back