• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to drive a a 6V solenoid lock

Kian

Hi all,

I got a 6V solenoid lock (https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/5V-6V-12V-and-24V-Electric_62042294641.html) and I would need to control it using a microcontroller. I am powering my microcontroller with a 3.7 V lipo battery.

The solenoid lock is rated 6V and requires a current of about 0.8A. I know I need to using a MOSFET as a switch to drive it, just like driving a motor. I can only use one 3.7V lipo in my design. So I presume I would need a boost converter to boost the voltage to 6V. However, I can't seem to find a boost converter that can give a high current output.

Can anyone advise how I can drive the solenoid? Thanks in advance!

Pommie

Most Helpful Member
Try it and see. Your application may work at the slightly lower voltage.

Mike,

Kian

Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far.

Mike, I believe its more of a current issue. Somehow I am choosing the wrong boost converters in my previous designs. I was using a ISL9111AEH50Z-T7A but somehow it didn't work.

AK, I am designing my own PCB and I have a size and shape constrain with the PCB.

narkeleptk, I will try the boost converters you suggested. Thanks!

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
AK, I am designing my own PCB and I have a size and shape constrain with the PCB.
It's quite easy to fit a Chinese module on your own PCB (which is what I do), as you can buy the modules from China for less than the local cost of the IC or the inductor.

These are the ones I've just reordered:

However, if you're really hampered by the physical shape required, you might be forced to go for the more expensive route.

Dr_Doggy

i find it is easier to find a 6v power supply, then use BUCK converter to step down to the low power microcontroller, or a more common 12 supply and buck to 6

ronsimpson

Most Helpful Member
From my experience, if 6V @ 800mA pulls the lock back, then probably it will hold back at 3V @ 400mA. (must be tested)
I was using a ISL9111AEH50Z-T7A but somehow it didn't work.
The ISL9111 has a max output voltage of 5.25V. and you can not get more than 300mA out of it.

Here is a idea. Use a higher voltage boost up power supply (low current is OK maybe only 100mA). It can charge up a large capacitor to 7 or 8 volts. When you want the lock open connect the 8 volt supply to the lock. The 8V will drop down to the supply voltage of 3V in a short time. By then the lock will have opened and probably will hold at the lower voltage. It might take 1 second for the boost supply to charge up the capacitor again depending on output current.

Beau Schwabe

I would just try the 6V solenoid with 3.7V and see what the results are.

At my previous job we had an issue with 12V water solenoids burning out with a 15V supply so we switched to 24V solenoids and they were just fine with the 15V supply. I used a bench top power supply to reduce the voltage to see where the 12V and the 24V solenoid started to fail and in both cases it was near 30% of the rated voltage.

3.7V is 62% of the rated 6V so I would think the solenoid would be fine, but you will need to test this for yourself.

ronsimpson

Most Helpful Member
3.7V is 62% of the rated 6V so I would think the solenoid would be fine
Next year when the lock is dirty there will be trouble. (at any voltage but the problem will be worst at 3.7V)
Making one for your use, this lower voltage is OK but this is not something for production. Some parts will work at 60% but not all. Next year some Chinese engineer will think about saving 1 meters of wire by reducing the turns a little. Who will ever know that happened. The lock still works when testes at 6V. Why not save some money?

Beau Schwabe

Next year when the lock is dirty there will be trouble. (at any voltage but the problem will be worst at 3.7V)
Perhaps.

The OP could always try a "Dickson Charge Pump" to deliver more current.

Here is a YouTube video I made several years ago of a Dickson Charge Pump in action ... Sorry for the mispronunciation. I didn't catch myself until the very end of the video - ahh well.

Latest threads

EE World Online Articles