Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to determine divider resistor as the input to ADC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shteo83

I going to do a digital oscilloscope project. But my ADC is only -0.6v to +2.6V analog input range. I need a voltage id from negative voltage to positive voltage. In my case suppose to get
-2.6v to +2.6. How to the divider resistor? what should be the resistor value? My ref is 2.6v.

shteo83 said:
I going to do a digital oscilloscope project. But my ADC is only -0.6v to +2.6V analog input range. I need a voltage id from negative voltage to positive voltage. In my case suppose to get
-2.6v to +2.6. How to the divider resistor? what should be the resistor value? My ref is 2.6v.
the -0.6 and 2.6v comes from the input clamping diodes? , then the recommended is 0-2v for FSD. u need a voltage divider , the measuring range will decide the resistor vals. if u need to measure -ve volts,add a level shifter/dc offset.

The ADC that I am familiar with has an input range of +0.6 to +2.6V so are you sure about the -0.6V ?

If you want the range to be -2.6 to +2.6V then you need to shift the level and attenuate the signal.

This could be done with 3 resistors. Use McMillman's Theorm to calculated the voltages.

My adc is TLC5540INS. It has two option, one is from -0.6 to 2.6 and one is from 0 to 2.28V. Now i care about the 0-2.28v. So how to make it
-2.28vto+2.28?

shteo83 said:
My adc is TLC5540INS. It has two option, one is from -0.6 to 2.6 and one is from 0 to 2.28V. Now i care about the 0-2.28v. So how to make it
-2.28vto+2.28?

Feed it from an opamp, setting it's gain and offset to provide the range you need.

In fact, all you need are 2 equal resistors. Their value will depend upon what frequency response you want.

Vin -------R1-------- to ADC input

Then connect R2 from the ADC input to a 2.28 Volt source.

When Vin = -2.28, Vout = 0, and when Vin = +2.28, Vout = 2.28.

R1 = R2

However, you may need an Op Amp configured as a unity gain buffer before R1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back