Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to determine between norton and thevenin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter_wadley

Hey,

I am a bit stumped on a text book question.

I've attached the diagram to help.

The questions states:

Two circuits shown below are in identical black boxes with ONLY their terminals accessible from outside the box.

How could you determine which box contains the Norton equivalent?

What I think:

Since Rnorton = RThevenin, we cannot find out by shutting of the current and voltage sources (I.E current source becomes open circuit / voltage source is short circuit) and measuring the resistance since Rnorton = RThevenin...

I believe the answer is that we cannot determine one from the other since this is exactly the theorem... both circuits are equivalent to any device we place on the exposed nodes.

Does this sound correct?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 374
I believe the answer is that we cannot determine one from the other since this is exactly the theorem... both circuits are equivalent to any device we place on the exposed nodes.

Does this sound correct?

Sounds correct to me.

JimB

I agree with you in your answer.

I Edited this becuase, i checked and i realized that what i wrote was wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back