How to desolder QFP-chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pax Writer

Hey folks
The company I work at manufacture a bunch of PCBs which have a tendency to get overloaded in certain situations. While a solution is underway, we have a big bunch of these defective PCBs lying around, which are all getting tossed, as it is cheaper than to fix them.
The thing is that the PCB has a processor on it, and that never becomes defective. I've asked around and people here are ok with me desoldering them for personal use, if I do so in my spare time.
The processor is in a QFP (32 pins, if I recall right) and its not glued. How do I get it off the PCB without ruining the chip?
Is there a way to do it, which doesn't require me to invest in expensive tools?

Thanks in advance

If this is just for personal use and you don't care about losing a few. Just use a heat gun as a cheap reflow. I've even used jet lighters or the butane torch soldering guns. It's pretty brute force, but never ruined anything with it; just be careful and heat everything fairly slowly and evenly.

I have a cheap Chinese reflow now and it works pretty well for this.

Hey,
Thanks for the advice.
I tried using a heat gun, and I did indeed get the chip off. Its just that it was very hot, so I was hoping some extra clever person knew a trick to get it off (the chip, yes ), using chewing gun, rubber bands or sweet words
Also, I could try the process with something else than a 600C heat gun.
When you write "cheap Chinese reflow", what is cheap? And where did you get it?

Also, is it possible to get a box shaped soldering tip specifically made for QFPs?

I use a toaster oven. Set the oven to broil. Cook the board for a couple minutes, you see the solder melt, and the small part start to move. Pick up the board with a tool and slam it down (up side down) on the edge of the desk. The parts will fall off.
**broken link removed**

I have a Aoyue 968 which I got off of SRA Solders e-bay channel. There are cheaper ones if you just want the hot air gun, though.

**broken link removed**

I routinely use a Weller 6966c heat gun, with great results. I have yet to damage/destroy a chip using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…