Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to desolder QFP-chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pax Writer

Hey folks
The company I work at manufacture a bunch of PCBs which have a tendency to get overloaded in certain situations. While a solution is underway, we have a big bunch of these defective PCBs lying around, which are all getting tossed, as it is cheaper than to fix them.
The thing is that the PCB has a processor on it, and that never becomes defective. I've asked around and people here are ok with me desoldering them for personal use, if I do so in my spare time.
The processor is in a QFP (32 pins, if I recall right) and its not glued. How do I get it off the PCB without ruining the chip?
Is there a way to do it, which doesn't require me to invest in expensive tools?

Thanks in advance :)

If this is just for personal use and you don't care about losing a few. Just use a heat gun as a cheap reflow. I've even used jet lighters or the butane torch soldering guns. It's pretty brute force, but never ruined anything with it; just be careful and heat everything fairly slowly and evenly.

I have a cheap Chinese reflow now and it works pretty well for this.

Hey,
Thanks for the advice.
I tried using a heat gun, and I did indeed get the chip off. Its just that it was very hot, so I was hoping some extra clever person knew a trick to get it off (the chip, yes:) ), using chewing gun, rubber bands or sweet words :)
Also, I could try the process with something else than a 600C heat gun.
When you write "cheap Chinese reflow", what is cheap? And where did you get it?

Also, is it possible to get a box shaped soldering tip specifically made for QFPs?

I use a toaster oven. Set the oven to broil. Cook the board for a couple minutes, you see the solder melt, and the small part start to move. Pick up the board with a tool and slam it down (up side down) on the edge of the desk. The parts will fall off.
**broken link removed**

I have a Aoyue 968 which I got off of SRA Solders e-bay channel. There are cheaper ones if you just want the hot air gun, though.

**broken link removed**

I routinely use a Weller 6966c heat gun, with great results. I have yet to damage/destroy a chip using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back