Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to decrease dc amps if volts less than amps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akmal Hussain

Can anyone help me? I have 12 volt dc motor and also have a power supply it's voltage are 8.5volt but output current is 5.65amps how can I reduce amps and increase Dc motor desire current is 1 amps maximum?

Can anyone help me? I have 12 volt dc motor and also have a power supply it's voltage are 8.5volt but output current is 5.65amps how can I reduce amps and increase Dc motor desire current is 1 amps maximum?
Sorry I wanna decrease current and increase volts my motor needs 12 volts what to do

Measure the voltage of the supply with no load connected.
The supply current figure may be the current capability of the supply, it is not what delivers to a load.
Do you know the current needed/used by your 12V motor to perform its work ? Can you measure the motor current while running the motor from an automotive battery ?

You need a DC-DC boost converter to raise the 8.5V to 12V. If the converter were 100% efficient (it won't be), 1A from its output (if that is the motor rated current) would draw 12/8.5 = 1.4A from the supply. However, the start-up current for a motor is several times the rated running current, so you would likely be drawing 5A or more from the supply.

While a small (or any) DC motor may have a voltage desired for it on a data sheet they will work either over or under voltage, within limits. The 12V is needed to get the motors rated RPM, if you can live with less RPM try the 8.5V before spending money and time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back