Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to: Create Helium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluence

Maybe it's not the ideal place to ask this, but anyway...

Someone knows how can i produce helium?

I know i can buy it, but it's very expensive only for a small bottle... D:

Being Helium is an element of the Noble gas family it doesn't like to combine with other elements readily so you generally have to refine and separate it from something else.

The most common way is getting it in trace amounts from natural gas wells by using multistage cryogenic separation methods which is expensive and energy consuming.

Why do you want to create it? It's going to be FAR more practical to buy it, a welding supply store should be able to hook you up if you need large volumes, the only problem with that is tank rental/desposits can be a turn off to hobbyists. Another source for smaller quantities is simply your local super market. For years around here they've been selling small propane cylinder sized (though not nearly as high pressure) tanks of helium for home baloon filling kits, only costs 20 bucks. Doesn't have a lot of helium but if you just need some for a few experiements it's easy to get.

The only way to create Helium would be with your own little fusion reactor. Details of a suitable device can be found here but it's probably beyond your abilities.

Mike.

From A DIYers approach may I suggest a "Farnsworth Fusor" only 500$ to make(most of the cost is in the neutron shielding),, thats not including the Deuterium you need to fuel it...

You could also use a Fission process, using Beryllium as fuel,, however idk if we have the tech yet to smash atoms in half!

Create sure, I think some people may be reading a little too much into the word 'create' here though =) If he has a natural gas supply to his house he can extract helium from that, that is of course if the gas company hasn't already done that. Again though all total speculation and the entire concept of creating it or generating it from a source is not nearly as practical as simply buying it.

Apparently no one noticed that the thread's topic is 'How to: create helium' but the body of the message asks how to produce helium? And that perhaps being that their status says they're from Portugal the stupid jokes are slightly out of place and waiting to find out what the original poster actually wants might help?

About one month ago I found a helium balloon in a tree at the park. I climbed up and got it and took it home.
Every few days I cut its stem a little shorter so it can "hover" again. It is made from metalized plastic film so it leaks very slowly.
Recently I saw a bunch of huge helium balloons at a store with Christmas greetings all over them but the store wouldn't give one to me.
Maybe I won't see another helium balloon in my lifetime.

25% of the galaxy is helium, just go for a ride. While you're out there harvest some He3 too.

Blueroom, if they want to inflate a dirgiable that's fine, all you need is a large welding tank sized helium canister, or half doze. Once you get past the container deposit the gas itself isn't that bad.

Somebody send audioguru a balloon for x'mas. Don't want him climbing trees in winter now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back