Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to controll motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonymous

Hi
after a few days of experimenting I'm totally confused. When I search the
internet I find several ways to controll your motors. But what's the most
used, the "best" way... My motors are 9.6 V, from an old toy car. It has to
be my first robot, and currently I'm controlling it over my LPT1. But the
way to do it schould also be usefull on a microcontroller, because in August
I'm going to buy one... (I think a Pascalite, but any suggestions would be
usefull). So could please someone give me a good advice how to do a motor
controll (wich parts, wiring, ...)

THX
jan

motor help

A good processor for the newbie would be the Basic Stamp module,...(which is actually a PICmicro). The PIC's are small and easy to get going, and alot of support all over the web.

I think what you are using is a simple "DC" motor, which means all you need to do is add power to the lines and it goes. Where-as the more popular form of robot motor is the "Stepper", which requires a controller to send a sequence of binary patterns(steps) to a "driver" circuit that turns the motor.

So you could feasibly create a simple 1-transisor amp that will push it. Have the base of the transistor hooked to an i/o line on your controller, then set it to 1 or 0 (depending on how you actually build the circuit)

post more info as you go along...

Best way?

If you REALLY want the best way, then you need to define what kind of controll you desire, but the type of motor is also a major factor.

control questions:

Speed control?
braking?
position (angular)?
torque?
power consumtion?
direction?

Type of motor:

shunt or series wound?
brushes?
stepper?
ac/dc (you told us)
sevro?

The question are almost, as are the answers, endless. The good news is, that it can also be quite simple.

The source of your motor suggests that is a permanent magnet brush type.
Thats good and bad. Good, because its easy to controll. Bad because, controlling it through LPT1 (without some type of buffer) could damage the port (voltage spikes).

I would suggest that you look into pulse width modulation (pwm).

int12h suggests that: "The PIC's are small and easy to get going, and alot of support all over the web." I think that he'd be right. There may be another tact though. I too am (kind of) new to this type of controller. I have been LOTS of reading about controllers. I have chosen to peruse TI's line of multi signal processors (MSP). They are a LOT cheeper. They are a LOT more powerful. Life's tough, they are a LOT harder to get involve with. There is poor support over the web but it's growing.

The up side to the diffuculty is that this is robust commercial stuff (not that bugs don't exist). They the, MSP430 series will live in proudcts across a very broad spectrum. If you can make these chips dance I suspect you'll have the opertunity to make a LOT more money than you are now.

It's my thougt that the devices that Spock (star treck) held in his hand when he said "sensors indicate... " sported processors that had linage with the MSP430.

Check out TI's site. Check out a magazine called "NUTS & VOLTS.

forgive my spelling, I respect you, but not enough to run this through a spell checker

robotics site

we got a 'how to drive dc motors' on our amateur robotronics site. Along with many good and working examples on our robot bugs.

take a visit.
www.endtas.com

use a ba6209 to control your motor.
its got 2 outputs for moro and 2 inputs, logic.
aply a HIGH level to one input, the motor turns one way, aply to the other, it turns the other way. you only need a few extra components apart from the ic.
or you can use a 6 transistor bridge that does about the same thing.

yep ba6209 does that.
theres a complete line of ICs from rohm (www.rohm.com)
the IC is cheap .just Rs. 30 (1US$ = RS. 50). and is easily available
as it is used in VCRs etc.
i m still trying to get max power out of it but it does move my robot.
alternately u can build an H-Bridge urself and is explained in numerous places on the web.
the one shown at **broken link removed** is powerfull enuff and cheap too.

bye,
Shima

oops :shock:

the system doesnnt allow me to send the link.
neway replace the stars with electronic-circuits-diagrams

bye

god this is crazy. dont know what to do.

whew !!!!

that was a long story.
too bad the post is locked now.
i wanted to send that navman guy threat to drag him to cour for defamation and spam.
but actually his cause was right but not the way to fight it.

neway bye,
shima

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back