Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to connect two MCUs on with Serial port and the other with USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

c36041254

Hi there !
Is there any way to connect two standalone embedded devices to each other provided that one has Serial interface and the other have only USB (slave), so no PC between this o.k., I believe one has to develop custom drivers for this, please express your ideas about this, I got a job as a design engineer straight after my Diploma and they want me to do this, I cant post any other specific details as it is company's property. So far what I can think of is using VNC1L (from FTDI).
I need something like USB- OTG, but instead of both USB, one supposed to be serial. Please help me this is my dream job. I am returning to electrotech after a quit long time as I have migrated from my country and I been very busy with other stuff so please don't take me as some one who posts only when need in help. Thanks !

Thanks, well let me make it more clear the Device that my company manufactures has a Serial DB09 output (and as it is already manufactured I can not alter its circuit) and that needs to be connected MOTOTRBO radio that has USB slave interface.

In which case you need a processor based device that has USB host, and a serial port (no problem as that could be in software anyway), then write the software to do the job.

Thanks Nigel,
That is what I have thought of, I have selected the chip as well, VNC1L, the MOTOTRBO radio is for PC, so I believe I have to understand the drivers for PC of the MOTO radio and then develop an embedded device with custom drivers for MOTO radio. Is that what you are suggesting ? If it is so then I should admit it is a VERY DIFFICULT task for me though I won't give up and will give it a try, but for that I need to have source code of MOTO radio drivers, and what if MOTOROLA don't give them ? Is there any other way then this ?

If you can't get the data you need, then you need to reverse engineer it - it's not going to be a trivial task. However, their website says:

Easier to integrate – the radios have a built in modem and USB and IP interfaces which makes the system easier to integrate with data devices and applications.

So I would imagine they are quite happy to provide you the required data, although this may be in the shape of an expensive kit you have to buy or licence.

Once you have the data, for a start I would practice writing what you need with the radio connected to a PC, so you know EXACTLY what needs sending to the radio, and what you get back. A PC and programming software has far better debugging capabilites than a micro.

Then when you've got that doing exactly what you want, you can replicate that design in a standalone processor.

Thank you very much ! I have to ask the company about this . will return soon ! You have been very helpful to me, even when I was learning PIC programming I got great help from you, thanks once again !

BTW : This will take very long time, so I was just wondering if something like this possible as it involves very less development time (as the company want it to be done as soon as possible)

my device (serial output) >>> serial to parallel converter >>> parallel to USB converter (Slave) >>> USB - OTG >>>MOTO radio USB (slave)
As I have seen a few serial to parallel and parallel to USB converters that requires no OS specific drivers so I am just thinking if it is possible........................., is it ?

Last edited:
I think that sounds bit silly because even after that I have to design custom USB-OTG:eek::eek::eek: so I will need to have MOTO driver that is the only option :eek:

hi friends i want to send data through a phone line, my idea is to use a pic mcu with a usb modem. any one can help me please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back