Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to connect a webcam directly to a wifi dongle !

Status
Not open for further replies.

GLADYS

Is it possible to connect a webcam or other camera to a wi-fi or bluetooth dongle plus of course a 5v dc supply without a pc inbetween ? , what's the minimum interface needed to produce a transmitting camera that can be received on another dongle pluged into a pc ? . Is it ( simply ! ) a question of a piece of software to tell the two what to do ? ( which could be on a pic chip or similar or one of the new chips with onboard os ) ? , your's , gladys .

In short, no.

Webcams/digital camera's are 'devices' usually on USB, but some may work on firewire. The USB interface requires a 'host' to communicate with a device, or many devices on the bus. The same goes for a wifi dongle. So you would need at the very least a host interface between the two. And THEN you have to think about the software side, since a 'wifi dongle' will just transmit/recieve data given to it from the host - any wireless network it connects to would ahve to know what that data actually means.

Probably the easiest/most conveneient way would be with a small PC. Smallest, but more time consuming (even if you already know C coding and the USB protocol insideout) would be a microcontroller with 'on-the-go' USB. That is a USB device inside the microcontroller, which has limited capability to perform as a host.

Would be nice to make a wireless camera/webcam, but I'm not sure theres much of a market for a relatively cheap 'wifi cam'. I'm sure there are wifi cameras around, but wifi/bluetooth has limited range, so I'm guessing any available devices would be pretty expensive. Saying that, china seems to come up with all manner of consumer goods - not the most reliable, or the best quality, but certainly cheap and dandy.

**broken link removed** ?

Hi GLADYS,

If you just want a wireless camera to transmit to a host, there are lots available. I use "Super Circuits", which is a distributor for security cameras, and they have a line of wifi cams. Warning; they aren't cheap!

Last edited:
Would be nice to make a wireless camera/webcam, but I'm not sure theres much of a market for a relatively cheap 'wifi cam'. I'm sure there are wifi cameras around, but wifi/bluetooth has limited range, so I'm guessing any available devices would be pretty expensive.

WiFi cameras are commonplace, check any computer supplies store - I bought mine from Amazon.

WiFi has pretty decent range, and of course you can access it from anywhere in the world over the Internet.

Man, I'm behind lol Last webcam I had I got free with a can of deodourant...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back