Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to build a USB PIC Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 12F683 chip that I am trying to program is a standard chip it is not out of the Xbox 360 ?
OK, Now I see your problem.the software of DL4YHF says it supports 12F683 and also has support for k8048. It made me feel that your job should be done.

please read the following remarks from the site linked under

"PIC12F635/683, PIC16F636/639, PIC16F684/688, PIC16F685/687/689/690
Apply Vpp first and Apply Vdd first two-way
JDM Programmer can program these devices well, but can not read/verify/erase when configuration word is set to both "INTOSC oscillator" and "MCLR function is internally disabled".

The following is the quotation from revised "PIC12F6XX/16F6XX Memory Programming Specification"...................."

**broken link removed**

this indicates that , if you are using internal oscillator, you might need to work with Vpp before Vdd option and , perhaps we have to see how to get such facility in K8048

Last edited:
I don't think you can, it's a really poorly designed programmer.

Ok good news guys the guy I brought the K8048 from as agreed to supply me with a replacement programmer that he said he as tested with the 12F683 and it works, just waiting for him to tell me the model number so I can get some reviews on it.

The guy cant remember the name of the programmer but he said it is the one supplied with the PICAXE kits the one with the phono sockett, do any of you guys know which one this is ?

The guy cant remember the name of the programmer but he said it is the one supplied with the PICAXE kits the one with the phono socket, do any of you guys know which one this is ?
Perhaps, he would have meant parallel port programmer. Wild guess by the supplier is not much of use. The phono socket may be power input.
you may bargain with him to supply
before you make it you may try DL4YHF hardware on breadbpoard
once it works(said to work well and supports Vpp before Vdd) you might assemble one. I had made a PCB layout, that you may find a zip file, across one one of my posts on this site dated 12-4-08

Last edited:
Perhaps, he would have meant parallel port programmer. Wild guess by the supplier is not much of use. The phono socket may be power input.
you may bargain with him to supply
before you make it you may try DL4YHF hardware on breadbpoard
once it works(said to work well and supports Vpp before Vdd) you might assemble one. I had made a PCB layout, that you may find a zip file, across one one of my posts on this site dated 12-4-08

Whats the DL4YHF hardware ?

He as tested the programmer with the 12F683 and it works.

No I am totally confused the link you posted to a PIC programmer, I was asking if it would work with a 12F683
as per the winpic800, it should.
I had also provided additional info regarding the programability of 12F6xx at the FENG's English site. as I see linking both, any serial programmer either JDM with internal power or this programmer of DL4YHF with external power , should be able to program the chip you need.
Dl4YHF programmer has derived power supply for Vpp before Vdd facility.
A close examination of K8048 schematic , also indicates similar power arrangement. I don't understand why it was refusing to program.

Last edited:
The guy cant remember the name of the programmer but he said it is the one supplied with the PICAXE kits the one with the phono sockett, do any of you guys know which one this is ?

this is serial programmer . perhaps the picaxe have some boot loader inside and it works with 3 wires of com port.

That type programmer would not work for you, I fear.
this might be what he offered you.

Attachments

• axe080.pdf
    23.1 KB · Views: 320
It's a UK magazine, Everday and Practical Electronics - you can get it in W.H.Smiths etc.

USB programmers aren't simple, for a start you need a pre-programmed PIC for it.

The official PICKit2 for £10 looks amazing, I may get one myself!.

hello everybody, i would like to ask a favour from anyone living in the UK.I read in some posts here that junebug is good and was going to start working on my junebug clone but if the original pickit2 is available in 10 pounds so here goes the favour:

i can spend arund 16 to 18 pounds on the programmer(shipment included) if someone is kind enough to buy one and ship it to me if possible(he wil be doing me a huge favour) then please pm me.I can may by Bank Cash Transfer.Thanks:eek:

Last edited:
It sounded like the fellow was offering to replace it with one of several he had on hand. A link to what he had to offer would allow people to evaluate them and let you know which to choose.

He as replaced this programmer with a Picaxe 08 Proto Board but for some reason it says no programmer connected when I connect it to my PC ?

He as replaced this programmer with a Picaxe 08 Proto Board but for some reason it says no programmer connected when I connect it to my PC ?
Please refer to 3v0's post asking you to indicate his site so that you could have a selection while seeking replacement.
However you can still call it a bad product and at least get beck your bucks

hello everybody, i would like to ask a favour from anyone living in the UK.I read in some posts here that junebug is good and was going to start working on my junebug clone but if the original pickit2 is available in 10 pounds so here goes the favour:

i can spend arund 16 to 18 pounds on the programmer(shipment included) if someone is kind enough to buy one and ship it to me if possible(he wil be doing me a huge favour) then please pm me.I can may by Bank Cash Transfer.Thanks:eek:
I f you have access to another programmer to pre-program a PIC18F2550, It appears better that you assemble the Junebug locally and it would work well
perhaps you may have to look at the availability and cost of set of parts. as compared to pickit2.
the 10 pound pickit2 mentioned by you appears to be another clone as sold on e-bay by a Chinese firm (supposedly made by Sure elctronics)

Last edited:
I f you have access to another programmer to pre-program a PIC18F2550, It appears better that you assemble the Junebug locally and it would work well
perhaps you may have to look at the availability and cost of set of parts. as compared to pickit2.
the 10 pound pickit2 mentioned by you appears to be another clone as sold on e-bay by a Chinese firm (supposedly made by Sure elctronics)

I dont have access to another programmer and I also dont know anyone that stocks the Junebug in the UK ? even all the programmers on eBay are from China ?

I dont have access to another programmer and I also dont know anyone that stocks the Junebug in the UK ? even all the programmers on eBay are from China ?
That message was aimed at wonderboy. he might have problems in ordering pickit2 or purchase junebug.

If you are interested in making a programmer part of junebug, perhaps assembly instructions manual could come in handy for you
and you can assemble one on a general purpose board, a jpg is attached below thanks to Bill of Blueroom and EDAboard

Attachments

• junebug  PK2.jpg
    junebug PK2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 229
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back