Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to build a USB PIC Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_Stafford

Hi guys can you guys point me in the direction of a tutorial on how to build a USB PIC programmer that I can program a 12F683 with.

How much is this Junebug, and is there anyone that I can get this off in the UK, Birmingham area , I need one for tomorrow ?

Last edited:
I need one for tomorrow ?

You said that on Sunday when I pointed you to the PICKit2 from Farnell. If you'd order that it would have been with you on Tuesday.

You can get it from RS Components in Corby too, they have a trade counter

Last edited:
You said that on Sunday when I pointed you to the PICKit2 from Farnell. If you'd order that it would have been with you on Tuesday.

You can get it from RS Components in Corby too, they have a trade counter

I couldnt order it then I dont have the cash until tomorrow.

page 9 EPE October 2008
"Your chance to purchase a PICkit 2 Debug Express, delivered to your door for only UK9.99 pounds inc VAT and delivery with the UK.
DV164121 including pickit 2 and PIC16F887, USB cables, MPLAB cds etc"
10 pounds, 1 per household, UK addresses only.Sadly eliminates me, but for many of you out there, this is an amazing offer even if you do own one already. The details will be in the EPE november issue.

Last edited:
I've got to ask this:)

How do you plan on buying or building a PICKit2/clone when you've got no cash?

You even PM'd me earlier in the week asking to buy one of mine.

I have got a bit of cash but I have no credit/debit card

page 9 EPE October 2008
"Your chance to purchase a PICkit 2 Debug Express, delivered to your door for only UK9.99 pounds inc VAT and delivery with the UK.
DV164121 including pickit 2 and PI16F887, USB calse, MPlab cds etc"
10 pounds, 1 per household, UK addresses only.Sadly eliminates me, but for many of you out there, this is an amazing offer even if you do own one already. The details will be in the EPE november issue.

whats EPE and where do I get it ?

I thought I might be able to get a list of parts to get and build a simple one myself

Last edited:
I have got a bit of cash but I have no credit/debit card

whats EPE and where do I get it ?

It's a UK magazine, Everday and Practical Electronics - you can get it in W.H.Smiths etc.

I thought I might be able to get a list of parts to get and build a simple one myself

USB programmers aren't simple, for a start you need a pre-programmed PIC for it.

The official PICKit2 for £10 looks amazing, I may get one myself!.

It's a UK magazine, Everday and Practical Electronics - you can get it in W.H.Smiths etc.

USB programmers aren't simple, for a start you need a pre-programmed PIC for it.

The official PICKit2 for £10 looks amazing, I may get one myself!.

What about a serial PIC programmer would that be simple, I cant wait until November to get that one.

Last edited:
Red,

I have to ask this question, as I'd hate to see you continue spending cash unneccessarily.

Q. What is your ultimate goal? Are you simply trying to mod your Xbox controller, or do you have an interest in developing PIC programs as a hobby?

The reason that I ask is because all of your posts have centered around the 12F683 chip, which is a common modding chip.

You appear to have wasted money on an antiquated Velleman K8048 programmer (http://forum.velleman.be/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1878&sid=b55e57e4bef62280366ab30d295f229c - which I also have and now seems to be a dust magnet :D) in the quest to program this sole chip.
If that is indeed yourself...

I don't know where your ambitions lie at this point, as to whether you intend to:
1) Create and release your own mod-chip code.
2) Use example code from the Microchip forum (be aware, IIRC some of the provided code will time-out after 40 or 50 tries), or you intend to..
3) Read a bought chip and program your own.

1) - Good for you, not an easy task for a beginner.
2) - Again, be aware that some free code may be usage-crippled.
3) - Any savvy developer and retailer is likely to code-protect his/her product, which means that you will not likely succeed in reading the contents of the chip, in order to replicate it on another chip.

Soooo, the advice is this:

If your sole intention is to mod your Xbox controller, you are going about it the wrong way. Cut your losses and just buy a chip.

Otherwise, if you intend to learn about PICs and develop your own programs, you could either buy the PICkit2 which is purely a programmer, or you could buy Bill's Junebug which is a PICkit2 compatible programmer with a tutorial board for the 16F88 and 18F1320 combined.

Please let us know what you actually want, so we can properly advise you.

Regards.

All I want is a programmer to program the 12F683 to mod my 360 controller, I have brought the K8048 after being advised by the seller that it would work on this chip only to find out that it doesnt.

All I want is a programmer to program the 12F683 to mod my 360 controller, I have brought the K8048 after being advised by the seller that it would work on this chip only to find out that it doesnt.
your K8048 should be able to program the PIC12F683
please see the link indicated below
try to download winpic of DL4YHF and as per him his software supports k8048 and it has facility for programming 12F683

https://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/winpicpr.html

your K8048 should be able to program the PIC12F683
please see the link indicated below
try to download winpic of DL4YHF and as per him his software supports k8048 and it has facility for programming 12F683

https://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/winpicpr.html

I have been using winpic but an and it lets me select the 12F683 but when I try to write to it, it says error and everyone I have spoke to says the 12F683 is not compatible with this programmer and it is also not listed on the manufactureres website under the compatible chips ?

I have been using winpic but an and it lets me select the 12F683 but when I try to write to it, it says error and everyone I have spoke to says the 12F683 is not compatible with this programmer and it is also not listed on the manufacturers website under the compatible chips ?
perhaps you need to isolate the internal circuitry to be able to program the chip there may be solderable pads for isolation please Check.
such solderable pads we find on LCD display modules. instead of berg links if p[ossible try to program a fresh one if you possess and then replace it

Last edited:
perhaps you need to isolate the internal circuitry to be able to program the chip there may be solderable pads for isolation please Check.
such solderable pads we find on LCD display modules. instead of berg links

You have lost me I dont know what this means ?

You have lost me I dont know what this means ?

the chip as used in your xbox would contain some circuitry around the 12F683
perhaps the programmer would not be able to program the chip in-situ
i thought you might be programming using some icsp connector. in such cases, isolating the pins used for programming from the remaining circuit for the time being would help you to program the chip and later you can always restore back the xbox circuit, as original, hope i am now clear

the chip as used in your xbox would contain some circuitry around the 12F683
perhaps the programmer would not be able to program the chip in-situ
i thought you might be programming using some icsp connector. in such cases, isolating the pins used for programming from the remaining circuit for the time being would help you to program the chip and later you can always restore back the xbox circuit, as original, hope i am now clear

The 12F683 chip that I am trying to program is a standard chip it is not out of the Xbox 360 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back