Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to build a heater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mass of your sensor has to be small vis a vis your sample.

Thank you. It will take 2 or 3 watts using what kind of heater? Peltier module? copper wire? nichrome wire? other?

I would think that most any small ceramic or aluminum cased power resistor would work just fine. For control I would epoxy the thermistor right to the resistor then bury the whole thing in sand or what ever insulating material you want to use.

Yes mineral or vegetable oil is a far better heat conductor than sand but we dont know about oxidation and contamination requirements.

I once used a few SMT resistors on a flex PC cable with a thermistor in a high gain closed loop to get a 40'C rise regulated within 0.1'C in 20 seconds. with 5mm of foam insulation around a low mass crystal can. Your mass will take longer, but low conductivity to target and high insulation to ambient is essential for stability.

So why do these metal samples have to held at such a precise temperature any way?

I would think that most any small ceramic or aluminum cased power resistor would work just fine. For control I would epoxy the thermistor right to the resistor then bury the whole thing in sand or what ever insulating material you want to use.
Can you make a simple drawing about what you're explaining please?

How much small would be ok? I mean, if I've 3 grams of metal, how many grams should be the temperature sensor? 20% less? more?
Sorry I didn't see yours up to now. The smaller the better. Otherwise you will have a sensor taking longer time than the sample, to cool down or warm up.

My very first project with I micro was a temperature display of up to 32 sensors for a greenhouse. The sensors (LM135 IIRC) went inside a jacket (?) of thick brass pipe and worked quite well but trying to get the temperature of my armpit took forever until the cold things warmed up and showed the right value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back