Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HOW to build 12 volt DC doubler circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only car battery I can think of that has a 110A capability is for a Hummer... Most vehicles only have 40 ~50 Amp hour batterries..

When they can deliver 200 ~ 300Amps for a short time whilst cranking, it is only for a very short time..

Way cheaper just to get a second 12V battery and put two in series...

What are you powering with 24V?

It probably only needs to be 20 amps. I am doing 12vdc 20a now on my car better it is a bit slower than 22vdc 20a from a transformer. I need battery power at a Black Smith group gathering in a State Park the area where they meet and demonstrate for 3 days has no electricity so it needs to be battery power. I raise my car hood put 2 alligator clamps on my car battery to run the induction heater to heat 1/2" solid steel rods red hot. Induction heater will not get as not as coal I need an extra 400 degrees F.

As suggested, simply use two car batteries in series for your 24V - by far the cheapest, easiest, and most effective way.

Or if you're regularly doing outside stuff, then buy yourself a generator and provide your own mains supply.

I have worked on 24 volt trucks. It is hard to get the two batteries to charge together when you have 12 and 24 volt loads and only a 24 V alternator.
It is possible to add a second 12V alternator to your car. Connect "ground" to +12. This way each battery will have a alternator.
OR
I can get negative 12V alternators. That will give you + and - 12V. You then connect your heater from -12 to +12 and it will think it is running on 24V.
All that requires you adding an alternator/generator and rerouting the fan belt. But the project is then just a mechanacial project.

We might be able to park 2 vehicles next to each other then connect batteries in series with jumper cables. Then connect negative alligator clip to 1 car battery and connect positive alligator clip to positive of the other car battery to power the induction heater. I can try this at home first it should work fine as long as someone does not open a door that bumps the other vehicle and shorts out.

park 2 vehicles next to each other
Good idea. Keep an eye on the battery voltage(s). One of the batteries will go down first and you don't want to fully discharge it. That depends if the cars are running or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back