Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume you get classed as European. :eek:

I guess it is better to be classed as a European than a "whinging Pom"!!:eek:

JimB

On a related theme, I find it ironic that on a board where posts with significant amounts non-English text have been deleted, we now have an advert in German.
(See the top of this page).

JimB

Obviously non-English posts should be deleted because the moderator understand them (sorry if any mods here do speak other languages) so they can't monitor - someone could post a load of racist material in Japanese and it wouldn't get removed.

I'd like the same to apply to advertisements for the same reason but there's probably nothing that can be done about that though.

I've been to forums in many different languages over the years. Sometimes that's where you wind up when you follow the links from search engines or from reading articles online. There are plenty of language choices out there on the web, this isn't the only hobby electronics forum available, just one of the best. It's content should be kept consistently English, that's what people expect when they visit here. I'm only fluent in English, but know a few words and phrases in several other languages. Just enough to to identify the country of origin (Dutch, German, French, Russian, ect..). I'd be completely lost on a site with multiple languages, one foreign language is tough enough.
I think we should encourage the use of English here, and not allow posting in others. It's the standard here, the user should be responsible for the translation, they choose to participate here, and not on a site in their native languages.

English language?
Where is a boot on a car? My car has the engine in the front engine compartment and the luggage goes in the trunk.
Why do some people call a truck a lorry?
Why are some people called blokes and others are called mates?

Vacuum tubes or valves?
Flashlight or torch.

Last edited:
English language?
Where is a boot on a car? My car has the engine in the front engine compartment and the luggage goes in the trunk.

Vacuum tubes or valves?
Flashlight or torch.

Oh dear AG, we really must educate you!

A bloke is just some other man, but a mate is a very good friend.

JimB

English language?

Vacuum tubes or valves?
Flashlight or torch.

You appear to be confused. English is the language spoken by English people.

Mike.

Two nights ago I was at a party and beside me was a woman from Scotland and on the other side was a gentleman from South Africa. I could hardly understand what they were saying.
They were speaking their version of English that is very much different from each other and very much different from mine.

Of course you realize my last post was just for humor :)

Is there a translator for Cockney into English?
You are very correct AudioGURU.. there can ba dictionary for a language but not for a 'garbage'.

btw. I am really adired at your earlier experince as you pu it like Philips, etc guru. really Great exposure and opertunity to real service to industry and to the society at large thro the industry.

As a non-native English speaker-writer, foreigner and newbie* in this forum, please let me introduce some ideas:

First of all: All do I know is that I do not Know.

I confess that my English language skills are terrible and for this I beg your pardon. I just would like to say to you that I'm trying harder in this way, but isn't the sufficient yet...

Here in Brasil (Yes! We brazilians write it with "s"! But no problem, I will use the "z" like the English Language does ;)) there is some foruns about Electronics. But none of these brazilian foruns has such high-level as ECPDF, and this is the main reason that I'm here - to tell the truth, I do more read the topics than write on it, both because my poor English language skills and because I do not feel my knowledge is enough to it.

So, from my "non-native English speaker-writer, foreigner and newbie" viewpoint, Audioguru was not be xenophobic in anyway. When he says "I don't go on a forum in their country so why are they here?" from a brazilian viewpoint (I do not know all the foruns above the Earth) I understand booth that:

1-) He doesn't need.

2-) He probably doesn't speak Portuguese so how he could ask or teach something to us in our language?

Am I correct? :confused:

In my case, as I need to learn, and I think that this is the right forun for it, I must to make an effort to use the appropriate language with you all.

Neverthless, let me share this thought with you:

"The language can be compared to a finger, and the Truth can be compared to the Moon, shinning in the Night Sky. I can use my finger to point the Moon, but you really don't need my finger to see it."

All do I want to say is: Please, look towards to the intentions of the people rather than their hability in language. If the people has lazy intention, or "homework intention", even if it was made in a respecful way, I agre with you - it sucks. But if the intention is good and respectful, but the form isn't perfect, do not fire they! ;)

And just as a remark, if you post something in English in a brazilian forum, always has someone to try answer you in the same language. Of course, you don't have to have the same obligation, Portuguese is terrible to foreigners. Anyway, you are welcome. In my specific case, I try to look towards the intention rather than the form.

Please, sorry for the loooooong post... and thank you for waste your time reading these poor lines! :eek:

*newbie only in this forun... I have worked with medium/low power electronics since 1982, and actually I'm working in a Telecommunications Enterprise (Carrier) giving local support to SDH and DWDM networks. Althought not profissionally now, electronics has been my passion since 80's and I still develop projects for my personal use and for motorcycles, my other passion.

Last edited:
Hi Johnny Hu,
Your English is good, you are not new to electronics and you are not a little school kid. Welcome to our forum.

I have spoken English all my life. I learned French in school but I forgot it since I don't know any French people to talk with. I don't know Portugese nor any other language.
I have never gone to a foreign language forum.

I travelled south to Mexico and Cuba but not to South America.

As usual, if somebody doesn't meet Audioguru's standards...

Thank you, Audioguru!

If you do not speak Brazilian Portugese, be sure that you are not loosing anything at all :D.

And if you never gone to a foreign language forum, I'm sure is just because you really don't need it.

But if you like of beaches and have an opportunity to visit ours, try to go to the Brazil's northeast coastal areas. Gentlemen, Sorry for the Off-Topic :eek: and let's keep talking about Electronics.

Your post caught my attention and I spent so much time reading the replies I did not get to spend much time when I followed the "link".

"Audioguru" strikes me as being a little harsh on those who have difficulty with the language. "live and let live" is my motto.

J McG

Many NOOBs "No Speeky Zee English".
I don't go on a forum in their country so why are they here?.

Shouldn't little school kids be in school instead of on our forum?

Was very uncomfortable with this as well. I know Audioguru as being very proud of his country Canada and who shouldn't be? (not that one's 'patriotism' should be translated into a disdain for other nationals)

Though I've only known him from behind an IP Address I've generally perceived him to be a nice chap.

However, I think Audioguru would best explain himself.

I am a nice chap with my peers.
But the forums I chat on are for English speaking adults.

Some people come with horrible English (some use translating software that makes many mistakes) and are very difficult to understand. Sometimes others come from their country and they have a foreign conversation.
They cannot buy common parts and frequently their parts substitutions are obsolete or are foreign to us.
There are forums in their country that talk their language and use their common parts.
They can even tell a person which "market" to buy stuff.

I think there are only two school kids on this forum. On 5 other electronics chat forums there are none. I get many (too many) school kids and university students sending me PMs and demanding me to do their school work. A few say SIR and a few say PLZZZZ.

I am a nice chap with my peers.
But the forums I chat on are for English speaking adults.

Some people come with horrible English (some use translating software that makes many mistakes) and are very difficult to understand. Sometimes others come from their country and they have a foreign conversation.
They cannot buy common parts and frequently their parts substitutions are obsolete or are foreign to us.
There are forums in their country that talk their language and use their common parts.
They can even tell a person which "market" to buy stuff.

I think there are only two school kids on this forum. On 5 other electronics chat forums there are none. I get many (too many) school kids and university students sending me PMs and demanding me to do their school work. A few say SIR and a few say PLZZZZ.

Only 2 school kids on this forum? who are they? Come on, point them out! We need to have a talk with those youngsters. They don't know any better. You should ignore them.

What are your 5 other sites? Are they for adult english speakers only?

Only 2 school kids on this forum? who are they? Come on, point them out! We need to have a talk with those youngsters. They don't know any better. You should ignore them.

What are your 5 other sites? Are they for adult english speakers only?

There are probably more then 2 kids, but are mature enough that its not an issue.

It's not unreasonable to expect members of this forum to use English, as there are no language options. It's also reasonable to expect anyone with enough knowledge of the English language to register and navigate the site, to post messages in a reasonably functional version of English.

Audioguru is just posting his honest opinion, you can take it for what it is, or leave it alone. He's not the only opinion here, just one of many. He's right to expect some effort to communicate on this forum, in 'real' English. You want help, make the request understandable, not a puzzle. Don't make us guess at what you need help with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back