Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many NOOBs "No Speeky Zee English".
I don't go on a forum in their country so why are they here?.

Shouldn't little school kids be in school instead of on our forum?

Many NOOBs "No Speeky Zee English".

I fear that www sites and the forums there-on, are really world wide, and perhaps not country specific.

I f I apply the analogy of Audioguru, no country should land or use technology or facilities invented/designed by another country. I don't think it would be fair and I also don't think that electro-tech-online would expect their site to be so restricted.

As regards the type of 'zinglish" - may I call it, is wrong on the part of members. the members should follow international standards and can seek help from a site and not beg for package deals. I totally agree with Audioguru.

When I tried to probe in the way the Indian guys/gals do this, I gathered that they try to use -so called - short word, what they try to use in mobile chats-- for example '' wud for would"

we should not and need not allow such things. the members can be informed that if they don't change to standard language usage, perhaps their posts can be thrown to dustbin and a comment left at the post location. I do realise it is a time taking exercise and some times impracticable.

I only feel that, these type of persons -- from which ever part of world would understand and and follow the minimum standards, on an international forum like this.

Last edited:
Asking for information in a post is not an easy thing.

If you provide less detail people will ask for clarification and after a few posts or pages you may get an answer.

If you provide more information people skim the posts and ask question you have already answered.

There are many groups of people in Canada with many languages who No Speeky Zee English like Chinese and Italians who are everywhere. The French Canadians are mainly concentrated in Quebec.

English is the language most often spoken at home for 68.3% of the population.
French is the language most often spoken at home for 22.3% of the population.

I wouldn't use it to translate poetry or highly technical documents accuratly, but Babel Fish is out there. There a thousands of other language translation sites out there (some for free)

I cannot understand what New Zealanders say but I can read what they write.
Except when they talk about MATE and G'day.

This site is English speaking. Not the thousands of other languages out there.

Sarma hit the nail on the head. How many electronics forums are there in Lithuania or Luxembourg? How dare they get on "our" forum! I think that if I wanted to get on a forum specializing in the German language, I'd opt for a forum out of Berlin (Germany), not one out of Sacremento (California, USA)! I think it's the same for electronics. You go to the forum you feel offers the best service and answers.

Believe me, they don't speak good English here in southeast Missouri, especially in our county, and they write even more poorly. Some of the postings that I see make my grammer- and spelling-conscience cringe! I'm often embarassed by my own spelling and unintentional "typos", let alone by that of other, worse offenders from my own country. And I don't even read posts that were entered in "cellular textingese". There's no excuse for that crap!

Oh, did anyone notice that Sarma (from Hyderabad, India) handles English better than most here? Sure, India was once a part of the British Empire, but that doesn't insure saturation of the English language.

Dean

There are probably a few Americans who can speak English and read and write???
Without every second word as a swear word???

audioguru said:

Your questions are largely arbitrary with respect to the forum. I don't see how harbouring xenophobia or age-ism is anymore consistent with the intent of the forum than language that's less then 100% "the king's English." If you find someone's post too confusing, just presume you're too stupid to figure it out and move on.

Being an anonymous bigot vicariously over the Internet is even more cowardly than the otherwise racist old crank you'd rightfully be ashamed to be in your immediate community.

An interest in electronics and a civil attitude are the main criteria for the forum. Try to stick to that.

Your questions are largely arbitrary with respect to the forum. I don't see how harbouring xenophobia or age-ism is anymore consistent with the intent of the forum than language that's less then 100% "the king's English." If you find someone's post too confusing, just presume you're too stupid to figure it out and move on.

Being an anonymous bigot vicariously over the Internet is even more cowardly than the otherwise racist old crank you'd rightfully be ashamed to be in your immediate community.

An interest in electronics and a civil attitude are the main criteria for the forum. Try to stick to that.

hi Hank,
My sentiments exactly.

I think the hatred generated by the attitude of 'scrooge' towards people from other countries is sick and worrying, especially when its done hiding on the otherside of a computer screen.

Its the sort of attitude that breeds distrust between peoples of different nations and its damaging
to the reputation of the Canadian people.

I dont care in which country a member lives or what language he speaks.
I would like to see 'scrooge' post a technical question in say, chinese.

After all isn't the root of ETO in New Zealand, not Canada.?

I propose that he be cautioned by the Adminstrators for his racist abuse.

Anyone second that.?

Last edited:
hi Hank,
My sentiments exactly.

I think the hatred generated by the attitude of 'scrooge' towards people from other countries is sick and worrying, especially when its done hiding on the otherside of a computer screen.

Its the sort of attitude that breeds distrust between peoples of different nations and its damaging
to the reputation of the Canadian people.

I dont care in which country a member lives or what language he speaks.
I would like to see 'scrooge' post a technical question in say, chinese.

After all isn't the root of ETO in New Zealand, not Canada.?

I propose that he be cautioned by the Adminstrators for his racist abuse.

Anyone second that.?

I don't see any racial abuse. He's talking about languages, and how some make a very minimal attempt to use the native language of this site. If they can't post a readable question, how are they going to understand the response? There is no obligation to post a response to every question here.

Audioguru has been here a long time, I don't see him as a racist, or hateful in any respect. He's proud of his country, has very helpful for many people, regardless of age or origin. Some cultures all there people to express their thoughts and opinions freely. His sense of humor might be a little tough to catch at times, but I'm sure he means no harm, just misunderstood.

The main point is this an English speaking electronics site. We should make some attempt to keep the language standard, and reasonably clear. Electronics has a technical language all it's own, and can been tough to understand in itself, why complicate it with poorly constructed posts?

My English isn't the greatest, my fingers don't keep up with my thoughts. I tend to omit a lot of words while reading through, just focusing on the information, not the form. My spelling and grammar are horrible, but usually get my point across, and manage to keep the swearing in check (not too bad for an American, anyway).

I don't think it's racist, or unreasonable to expect the guest here to post in English, and at least try to do it in a professional/technical manner. If you are serious about your interest, and really expect some help, you will make the effort to post a clear and detailed request, in the native language. If you are fishing for quick/easy answers for school, you won't make any effort at all.

Anyway, Audioguru isn't a bad guy, pretty sure he was just making a point, that got misunderstood. Maybe he was just stirring the pot a little, to get people thinking, who really knows.

hi Harvey,
Like you I do try to write in English with reasonable grammer and I do get fed up with posters using 'textspeak'.

What I am objecting too, is regarding 'scrooges' constant belittling of members who are doing their best
to put across a technical point in a second language.

If you look back thru his posts he is constantly making sarcastic remarks about posts from members in non English speaking countries, not to mention his obession about younger members.

It must be very difficult for non English students to always get the correct spelling or technical term.

I agree he has been a member for some time, but IMHO that dosn't give him the right, to go out of his way to offend other members

Roff has posted a very useful link that gives guide lines to posters.

Once again 'scrooge' has used this post, as an opportunity to express his narrow minded views.

Regards

Last edited:
HarveyH42, I agree with your position completely. I would go further and say I am one who enjoys reading Audioguru's posts. They are certainly appropriate, lack vulgarity, and almost always among the most informative from a technical standpoint.

Let's get away from using "racist" as an all purpose retort to anyone with the guts to complain about something. John

HarveyH42, I agree with your position completely. I would go further and say I am one who enjoys reading Audioguru's posts. They are certainly appropriate, lack vulgarity, and almost always among the most informative from a technical standpoint.

Let's get away from using "racist" as an all purpose retort to anyone with the guts to complain about something. John

John,
He not complaining, he making abusive remarks.

NOOBs "No Speeky Zee English".

I wouldn't call comments like this constructive, I call it what it is 'abusive', he is trying to drive away from the forum anyone who dosn't fit into his agenda.

Look thru his back posts, this is not a one off incident.

Audioguru has been giving good answers to questions for a long time.

Hi 3v0,
I am not questioning his technical abilities, just his xenophobiac remarks.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back