Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How many of you are mechanical engineers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also i dont think that having degree will be some sort of useful in this kind of job - electrician or plumber. If am i right, most of work is done by hand. No rocket science.

No, but both are fairly well paid jobs - most electricians and plumbers earn more than most people with degrees. Unfortunately the value of degrees has been drastically reduced in recent decades, with many people taking them who shouldn't, and many doing completely useless degrees with no job prospects.

Biggest employer of University graduates? - McDonalds! :D

The joke goes,

The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work?"

The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost?"

The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that?"

Unfortunately, there's some truth in this.

Mike.

Biggest employer of University graduates? - McDonalds! :D
Their salaries are just little higher than mine. They have a clear head and do not have to deal with projects, dead-line etc. But they constantly sees sour faces...
And they are in a hostile corona environment =D

The joke goes,

The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work?"

The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost?"

The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that?"

Unfortunately, there's some truth in this.

Mike.

Very much so - my daughter did a Masters, then a Phd in Chemistry.

During the first three years of her Masters she stayed first year on Campus, then 'cherry picked' from the ten in the building to share a house with her. Two of those she 'kept' were Historical Archaeology students - while Melissa did 5 days a week on her course, and was often given 20+ hours of work to do over the weekend, the HA students only did between 2 and 2.5 days of actual work per week. As she always pointed out, they were all paying exactly the same fees - so who was getting better value? - she was also provided free lab coat, free glassware, and only had to buy a single book - they even had to buy their own trowel and hat! :D

Apparently one of the Chemistry students the year below her (Melissa always said they were a particularly bad year) was complaining about the heavy workload - the Professor simply suggested he might like to go and do Art History instead?, which apparently is the course with the lowest possible workload, only around one day a week?.

So when you see students protesting with placards there won't be any Chemistry students (or Maths, or Physics) in the crowd, they are all too busy working.

On a more forum related note, one of her friends went to do an Electronics degree - which I found bizarre as he didn't have any previous interest in Electronics (I'd have loved to have done one!) - and she didn't see him for three years?. When she did, he'd dropped out - just before his final exams - he'd found the work so difficult he'd spent every waking moment working, and still couldn't manage the workload.

I suspect the younger members on these forums (such as the OP here) would have coped FAR, FAR better. I can't imagine going to do an Electronics degree at a top University with zero knowledge or interest.

So when you see students protesting with placards there won't be any Chemistry students (or Maths, or Physics) in the crowd, they are all too busy working.
We all know these A$$holes from the Faculty of Arts. I missed the train because of them
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I studied electrical engineering, and during the studies worked as a low level IT support. After getting my bachelor degree I went straight to a company that designes electronics for railway and industrial applications.
Where are you located?

Seems posters find it funny to put their location as Area 51. Hence, no local help at all.

Mike.

Seems posters find it funny to put their location as Area 51. Hence, no local help at all.
I sent kubeek private message... If he though of me.

Maybe I'm an alien.

c50a3d5422332de5e3ea5caa9e69072b.jpg

Also i dont think that having degree will be some sort of useful in this kind of job - electrician or plumber. If am i right, most of work is done by hand. No rocket science.
Quite a bit of truth to that. It was maybe 15 years ago we, as in family, attended a 75th birthday party for my uncle in NJ, USA. My brother had just finished his Masters in the Arts. My niece had just started her business degree at Ohio University. My brother went into a rant on how she really needed a masters degree. This from an unemployed person with a Master of Arts. I was beginning to get hot and my brother in law intervened asking my brother when was the last time he called a plumber on a Sunday? Both Journeyman Plumbers and Electricians in my area are well paid, very well paid. Not sure about a pipe fitter but apprenticeship for an electrician is 5 years in my parts.

A Master of Arts degree is as useless as teats on a bull as my brother has discovered. He is now selling stage and lighting equipment and earning less, much less than our niece who went on to get her MBA. :) Go Figure?

We have kids coming out of college with huge student debt in fields that don't pay much over McDonalds. Choose a career field that at least pays as well as makes you happy.

Ron

Anyone can get electrician & plumber licenses. You can get a Real Estate license easy too. I live in TN anyone can get a free code book from the STATE. Study the book then take the test. If you pass the test on the first try you get our license quick. I have also lived in IL, AZ, MI, each STATE has there own codes you need to get electrician & plumber license in each STATE you want to work in. TN does not require plumber license to work as a plumber but plumbing must be done by code so it will past State inspection for new built houses & commercial buildings. TN gives code test about every other week some where in the State. If you want to take electrician test there may not be a test in your area for several months. If your willing to drive 300 miles to a place that is giving the test then you can have your license sooner. State electrician license lets you work anywhere in the State. If you get electrician license in 1 State license is easy to get in other states there is only a few extra questions that are different for each state. There is a TN State Trade school in our town it teaches several trades, electrician, carpenter, Air conditioning, plumbing, Industrial electronics. nursing, accounting, welding, machinist, robotics, computer science, auto body, cosmetics, dental, surgical, pharmacy, office technology, Industrial maintenance, information technology, graphic design, office technology, 2 year degree & 1 year waiting list to get into this school. Sign up for trade school 1 year before you graduate high school so you get in right away. Laws are different in every State.

Last edited:
Anyone can get electrician & plumber license in a few 2 weeks. I live in TN anyone can get a free code book from the STATE. Study the book then take the test. If you pass the test on the first try you get our license quick. I have also lived in IL, AZ, MI, each STATE has there own codes you need to get electrician & plumber license in each STATE you want to work in. TN does not require plumber license but plumbing must be done by code so it will past State inspection for new built houses & commercial buildings. TN gives code test about every other week some where in the State. If you want to take electrician test there may not be a test in your area for several months. If your willing to drive 300 miles to a place that is giving the test then you can have your license sooner. State electrician license lets you work anywhere in the State. If you get electrician license in 1 State license is easy to get in other states there is only a few extra questions that are different for each state.
Nice! In CZ you need to have electrical High Scholl or college. Then you need to work 2 years to ve able to get license. And another 4 years to be able to employ someone.

Go to Trade school.

Technical colleges were great, but most have vanished here now - the one I went to is now part of the University Of Derby - which in itself is a pretty crappy minor University. Originally it was a Teacher Training College, and it still turns out decent teachers.

Technical colleges were great, but most have vanished here now - the one I went to is now part of the University Of Derby - which in itself is a pretty crappy minor University. Originally it was a Teacher Training College, and it still turns out decent teachers.
What students do in trade School? Is it job with theory? I never Heard about It.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back