Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how many of you are ham operators?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a wanna be/should hurry up and just take the test.:D

Gaston said:
i would imagine a lot of you are? its seems that electronics and radio go hand in hand

It seems like Ham & electronics go hand in hand but it does not. There are far more electronics hobbyists/professionals than there are Ham operators like myself. If electronics interests you AND RF/radio work does, then you are born to be a Ham.

VE7COR here.

Back in my early school days, "electronics" to the lay person did indeed mean radio or hi-fi. It's certainly different nowadays.

GM3ZMA

JimB

I would like to get my licence before i graduate high school. How much does the test cost? And what does the test consist of? Just your basic operations?

I don't think they require Morris code anymore, do they?

No, they just dropped the code. Good and sad. I hope it dosn't fade away. I still want to learn it.
I think the test is free, but don't quote me on that. It consists of alot of things. It changes depending on what class your going for. You can practice it online at several ham radio sites.

I checked on wikipedia, and it said that on Feb 23, 2007 (or something close to that) they were going to completely get rid of Morris code...

There has been a no-code test for at least a couple years now on the lowest level license. They're gradually eliminating code tests from the higher classes as well.

It's just my evil mind at work here mind you, but is there anything in the code testing provisions about using a keyboard to morse converter? or a morse to TTY converter?

Sceadwian said:
It's just my evil mind at work here mind you, but is there anything in the code testing provisions about using a keyboard to morse converter? or a morse to TTY converter?

I would certinly think so;)

Nigel Goodwin said:
Do you perhaps mean Morse code?.
Go easy on him Nigel, it was only a "Minor" error.:D

JimB

JimB said:
Go easy on him Nigel, it was only a "Minor" error.:D

I was trying to avoid such jokes!, on the grounds this is an International forum and many people probably wouldn't understand it! :p

Perhaps non-UK members would care to comment on their understanding?.

Yes, i meant "Morse" code. Give me a break. My school system sucks. Our whole budget is spent on sports. Every time i bring up a programming class or an electronics course to the principal, or the school board, they always start babbling on about "Aaah, we don't have enough money", or the very popular; "Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!". They also claim that the majority of the students don't want to take the courses.

Well that is a load of bull. I know of at least 10 students out of the 350 students at our school that would be interested in taking either of the classes.

Oh, and i never did like spelling class. I will stick with my google toolbar...

I let my General ticket lapse from being distracted by wine, women, and song. When there was a grace period for renewal, I was too busy chasing skirts, versus chasing Hertz!;) :eek: Someday I'll get one... until then I suffice with my First Class General Radiotelephone license.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back