Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HOW do YOU keep your computer working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

I use to build computers 1995 to 2000 but got fed up with relearning how they work every 6 months so I quick. I did good installing programs but never was good using the programs. I hate researching what is needed to keep my computer operating, virus programs, spyware programs, malware programs, etc. which one is best, etc.

My old desk top computers use to crash I replaced parts then reinstalled programs but not anymore I lost interest. I bought a laptop few years ago it quit so I bought another laptop. If this laptop quits I am very seriously considering never buying another computer. Few days ago computer got a virus it started flashing RED color warning message making loud noise telling me to call a certain phone number with my credit card to get the virus removed. I had to force the computer to shut down when I turned it on Windows wanted to install virus update so I clicked OK. Computer took over doing its own thing I came back an hour later computer worked again. LOL. Good thing it was an easy fix I have lost interest in it. If computer stops working I probably leave it broken.

I have 1 of the new phones that has 4000 options but have no interest in learning how it works. I leave phone on my desk like an old fashion dial telephone when I notice someone called me then I call them back. Scam callers will not leave a message, LOL.

I just build it myself properly from good components from the beginning and don't treat it like crap. I'm deliberate with everything I do on it from what directories and options I choose when installing software to where I save meaningless files that will be deleted shortly. They don't just get tossed on the desktop willy nilly. Honestly. I stopped running an anti-virus continuously in the background 15 years ago because it was more trouble than it was worth and instead was just cautious and vigilante.

Gotta keep it neat and tidy just like your kitchen or car. Then I only need to relearn things once every 7 years when I replace my computer.

Last edited:
Just buy an iPad.

I only fire up a "computer" when I need to print something and that is usually circuit layout onto plastic film or I print a sheet of label for someone. Everything else is done on my iPad.

I rarely have issues. But I do take the following steps to ensure I'm always covered:

Cloud data backup, my entire working folder is mirrored up using Synkron to a folder in Dropbox - every 30mins automatically.

I use online Git repo's for any and all code - in my case Bitbucket and Github - all free.

At worst case if anything super dodgy goes down with my PC, I'm happy to simply reformat my entire PC. No work/data will be lost as its all backed up on Git and Dropbox.

NEVER!! Open email attachments, unless you know what they are... If you haven't up-to-date security, then you are asking for it.

I have never been compromised and I never switch off my laptop ( unless it's updating )!! You have to imagine that everyone is out to get you, but don't get paranoid!!..

They don't just get tossed on the desktop willy nilly.
You do NOT want to see my desktop then. 18 x 8 grid of shortcuts/folders with only 6 free spots left.
Organized chaos, since I know where everything is.

I have some sympathy with Gary350 ,I did similar PC builds for many years ( Fun time :happy: ) , do not think I could get on with anything 'i' pad, phone etc. I need a cherry type keyboard , mouse and a 22" crt ! :) I have 3 at the moment :) I found the best thing for me was sticking to win 7 , XP. and Linux, turning off auto updates install AVG , and Zone Alarm programs , both free versions. Then make any program that wants the www (and most do:eek: )'It' has to ask...

I replace parts as they fail. Recently my laptop completely died and wouldn't boot. I was tempted to spend $300 for a used laptop but decided to just pay $40 and replace the hard drive. Installed Windows on it and it's chugging along flawlessly once again. I have also replaced motherboards, RAM, power supplies, processors, etc. on a combination of laptop and desktop machines.

The best thing you can do, though, is what Ian said - be careful what you open. Keep your computer clean. Perform frequent malware scans and updates and most of all, don't be stupid.

You do NOT want to see my desktop then. 18 x 8 grid of shortcuts/folders with only 6 free spots left.
Organized chaos, since I know where everything is.

I'm with Mickster. Why click 4 or 5 times when you can just click once!

When my last PC desktop filled up ... actually over filled ... I bought a new one. I reckon I've got about 2 years before I'll need another new one.

And speaking of 'clicking' ... Windows 10 really ticks me off with its pdf viewer ... if I want to print a 2 page invoice from element14 ... it used to take "9" clicks to get the job done. Totally insane.

I have been through the process a heap of times trying to set new defaults ... but it has never responded. Strangely, the latest update improved it ... now it only takes 7 clicks. Finally it can automatically detect between portrait or landscape. Whoopee! :angelic:

I'm pretty sure my last pc only ever needed about 3 clicks to do the same job.

If of any use, I keep my laptop working by never using on my lap or cushion where the air vents get blocked. That is murder, seen it too often. And added taller feet under it even for desk use.
About viruses, I have had zero in 10+ years with zero anti-virus on board.
I do not allow automatic updating anything.
When I want a new version of operative system, like every 2-4 years, I install a blank/blanked hard drive and archive the old drive complete with everything intact to return to full operation when needed if the current fails. Have like 4 in recycle queue, well labeled.
For handling, I never yank nor carelessly unplug the charger. And while thunderstorms, gets unplugged from the wall. You would be shocked to see how youngsters handle them, as if it was a wind toy. Ah!... instead of closing the lid/screen that kills the hinge wiring, I slide a tiny magnet to the sensor when I want it to go dormant. Otherwise, full shut-off.
For not pulling my hair, I do not do Windows, avoid doing Google, do not know what Chrome is, have two adblockers, never played games or watch TV/movies. It is a tool, not an entertainment center.
If am forced to do something on Windows, I can swap its hard drive quickly with a Windows one trough an opening I cut on the plastic bottom, 1 screw and the sata connector away. Never mix double booting and do not have anything Microsoft nearer than 5 metres away.
For piling up and archiving, an external USB keeps all data. No OS backup in it. Bookmarks backup on thumb drive.
Wired ethernet. No Wifi unless visitors want it, then I turn it on.

Paranoic and control freak. Works for me.

Last edited:
Interesting how we all differ. I barely ever use the mouse when opening programs these days, my desktop is basically never used.

In Win8.1 I have pinned (1 click start) programs I use every day on my taskbar, this is for Chrome, Outlook, Explorer, my editor of choice. For everything else I press the windows key and search. Want MS Word, Winkey+"Word"+Enter, that kind of thing.

If of any use, I keep my laptop working by never using on my lap or cushion where the air vents get blocked. That is murder, seen it too often. And added taller feet under it even for desk use.
About viruses, I have had zero in 10+ years.
When I want a new version of operative system, like every 2-4 years, I install a blank/blanked hard drive and archive the old drive complete with everything intact to return to full operation when needed if the current fails. Have like 4 in recycle queue, well labeled.
For handling, I never yank nor carelessly unplug the charger. And while thunderstorms, gets unplugged from the wall. You would be shocked to see how youngsters handle them, as if it was a wind toy. Ah!... instead of closing the lid/screen that kills the hinge wiring, I slide a tiny magnet to the sensor when I want it to go dormant. Otherwise, full shut-off.
For not pulling my hair, I do not do Windows, avoid doing Google, have two adblockers, never played games or watch TV/movies. It is a tool, not an entertainment center.
If am forced to do something on Windows, I can swap its hard drive quickly with a Windows one trough an opening I cut on the plastic bottom, 1 screw and the sata connector away. Never mix double booting and do not have anything Microsoft nearer than 5 metres away.
For piling up and archiving, an external USB keeps all data. No OS backup in it.

Paranoic and control freak. Works for me.
I agreed up until the part about not using Google or watching TV/movies. My laptop is my entertainment center. I don't have TV at my home, so when I need to shut myself down for a bit I use my laptop for entertainment purposes. Everything you said after that is a bit OTT, in my opinion (though I also use an external USB backup) :p

On all my old computers formerly running XP, I have spend time trying installing Linux and learning to use it. I've learn how to use rsync to backup files, and I will never look behind :D.

Recently my laptop completely died and wouldn't boot. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, replace the hard drive. Installed Windows
Same problem. Turns out the "Windows CDs" were on the hard drive. Now gone.
So I must get a new copy of Windows and office etc. Low cost = get a new computer that comes with Windows and Office.
installing Linux
I am so happy with my Raspberry Pi computer that I am now installing Linux on the laptop.

Same problem. Turns out the "Windows CDs" were on the hard drive. Now gone.
So I must get a new copy of Windows and office etc. Low cost = get a new computer that comes with Windows and Office.
I have my Windows and Office installation disks (CDs) so this was not an issue for me.

Let's see I just repaired a 12 year old XP SP2 system. it had 5 blown capacitors on the mobo.
Scrapped other old mobos for good caps ( i have a good CAP ESR tester)

It still carries hardware serial DB9 and parallel ports so I need the older systems for some of the old electronic HP & Tektronix gear to interface .

A weeks ago my more modern Win 7 64 bit pro started with BSOD...turned out to be a 4GB DDR3 stick went belly up....left with 3 others so it's still all good for now. Took a while swapping around to identify it and isolate other hardware issues like a new GTX 1060GB video card.

Built a 6 GPU miner for Zcash a few weeks ago. Accumulated upwards of $300USD now, but yields slower than now that Zcash in the low $200 each down from $800 in Dec.

Also built a custom opto-electronic PSU sync board that does not add any relay switching noise to the power rail. Works really well.

/how-do-you-keep-your-computer-working
Pray to the God of electrons.
Every two months sacrifice a small appliance. This time it was a microwave.
Every year sacrifice a hard drive.

HOW do YOU keep your computer working?

I machine wash and tumble dry and wash in Woolite. :)
When my wife or I have a need I still build them for us. My thinking is you buy or build based on individual needs. My needs today are not what they were five or six years ago prior to my and her retiring. When I was working I often did work at home using software which was much more demanding than my needs today. The last time I built us computers was maybe 3 years ago.

Over all the years I played with several LINUX distros but eventually lost interest. My favorites were likely some of the Linux Suse distros which are still laying around here. My wife and I are still running MS Office 2010 which I was getting through the Microsoft HUP (Home User Program) through my work. Actually I could likely do fine using Open Office but as long as Microsoft supports Office 2010 I'll use it. As to any anti-virus? I have the Windows Defender stuff which works fine for our needs based on our web surfing habits.

My laptop is about an 8 year old (maybe older) Dell workstation running Windows Vista and seldom gets booted up anymore as when we travel a few tablets do just fine. I can't recall ever having a virus but maybe 10 years ago my wife did get a machine infected and it was an easy clean and fix. Keeping a computer working is likely more a matter of common sense than any electrical or software maintenance.

Just My Take....
Ron

good cooling and dusting... for hardware

for virus and accumulated junk i use a win7 disk, and a backup hard disk full of all my drivers and software ... and also a good firewall that tells me when software is launching or opening ports...

as for your problem that flashing RED color... it is the new generation of adds, you dont have a virus its just a webpage saying you do so you will call the number and give money

... what browser are you using .. try chrome at least you will be able to close it off.. ad blockers just arnt doing what they should be lately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back