Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how do I solder to pre existing circuit board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayguy5000

I just pulled a keyboard encoder and I want to solder some wires onto the traces, I already drilled small holes into the traces at the end where they connected to the carbon fiber, I did not cut the trace in half. all I want to do is solder the wire in the hole so it is making a connection with the trace. I have done this before and it worked but I am looking for some good tips. Should I use flux or what else can I do?

You should be using flux-cored solder, so there's probably no need for any extra.

Assuming the track is bare copper, and it's clean, then it's no different to soldering a new board.

If it's not bare copper, then scrape and rub the coating until it is, and make sure it's clean.

yea its flux cored solder but it wasn't sticking, perhaps that is because it is not bare copper. It is a bright green, I assume that is the copper look after it has been through the etching process. what should I scrape it with?

ok well I used a grinding bit from a rotary tool set, it is very very pointy so it worked great for scratching the small trace bare. everything works now. Thanks!

Dremel tool for the win! =)
I love rotary tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back