Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do I program an ARM processor with an STM Link V2. Which application should I use to program it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sashvat

Hi guys, I was advised by @dknguyen to use segger IDE to program an ARM processor. But I have no clue what exactly to do. @dknguyen this post isn't mean to insult or put you down you or anything, thanks a lot for the help in the previous posts, but I have just got into this hobby and dont know a thing. I didn't exactly understand what you were saying. dknguyen hope you didn't take me offensively.

So, my main aim is to program a STM ARM microontroller, run a motor/LCD display attach sensors basically make a robot. I currently have a STM Link V2 as the programmer, a MacBook Pro (I might get a windows system) and dont know what programming software do I use to program a STM processor. I want the application to be free, easy for me to understand and use and a bunch of youtube tutorials on how to use this software. Please explain me by being very simple, I have just come into electronics please make it really simple for me.

Thank you.

So why pick a relatively obscure processor, and then expect load's of information out there for it? - not to mention using a more obscure computer to do it as well.

As suggested in your other thread, use the Arduino IDE and the STM32 boards, this is simple and easy to do, and there's LOT'S of help and information out there.

If you want 'obscure' you need to find a site that deals with the processor and software you want to use.

So why pick a relatively obscure processor, and then expect load's of information out there for it? - not to mention using a more obscure computer to do it as well.

As suggested in your other thread, use the Arduino IDE and the STM32 boards, this is simple and easy to do, and there's LOT'S of help and information out there.

If you want 'obscure' you need to find a site that deals with the processor and software you want to use.

But I find that the STM chips are the cheapest to buy, I dont know which programming app to use which is why I am here right?
So does just using the bare STM ARM chips with Arduino IDE with a STM Link V2 work?

But I find that the STM chips are the cheapest to buy, I dont know which programming app to use which is why I am here right?
So does just using the bare STM ARM chips with Arduino IDE with a STM Link V2 work?

No idea, you really need to find a specific STM forum, where people use them - they aren't a very popular chip in hobbyist circles due to lack of support for them. The STM32 modules (which are incredibly cheap) connect to the Arduino IDE via a serial port, but I've no idea if they have a pre-installed boot loader or not?

Here's a site you might find helpful?:

**broken link removed**

But as far as cost goes, unless you're building huge number of a device, the small difference in prices of processors isn't really significant.

But I am sorry, I should have gone to the website and asked the community, thank you for the advice

No idea, you really need to find a specific STM forum, where people use them - they aren't a very popular chip in hobbyist circles due to lack of support for them. The STM32 modules (which are incredibly cheap) connect to the Arduino IDE via a serial port, but I've no idea if they have a pre-installed boot loader or not?

Here's a site you might find helpful?:

**broken link removed**

But as far as cost goes, unless you're building huge number of a device, the small difference in prices of processors isn't really significant.

I actually have the blue pill, but it isn't working with my Mac at all.

this is the error that comes-

Arduino: 1.8.9 (Mac OS X), Board: "Generic STM32F103C series, STM32F103C8 (20k RAM. 64k Flash), Serial, 72Mhz (Normal), Smallest (default)"
Sketch uses 12648 bytes (19%) of program storage space. Maximum is 65536 bytes. Global variables use 2456 bytes (11%) of dynamic memory, leaving 18024 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 20480 bytes. Error probing interface "serial_posix" stm32flash Arduino_STM32_0.9 Cannot handle device "/dev/cu.usbserial-A800GAP3"
Failed to open port: /dev/cu.usbserial-A800GAP3http://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/arduino_stm32
Using Parser : Raw BINARY
the selected serial port does not exist or your board is not connected
This report would have more information with "Show verbose output during compilation" option enabled in File -> Preferences.

but thank you, I should have gone to the STM website. sorry about it. I am new to all this.

I can't help with a Mac, but the error message seems pretty explicit, were you using an FDTI converter, and had you connected it properly?.
Yes I was using an FTDI connector, connected pin A9 to Rx and A10 to Tx of the FTDI tool. and 3.3v and GND respectively.

According to that message, you have "Serial Port" selected as the upload method.
Go to the Arduino 'Tools' tab and select "STLink"

According to that message, you have "Serial Port" selected as the upload method.
Go to the Arduino 'Tools' tab and select "STLink"
But I am using an FTDI tool, not an ST Link V2.

this is what I am using-

Attachments

• FT232RL-FTDI-USB-to-TTL-Serial-Adapter.jpg
    FT232RL-FTDI-USB-to-TTL-Serial-Adapter.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 316
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back