Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do i make a 555 timer circuit that turns on AFTER a time delay and stays on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boncuk: I thought it could be accomplished with just a monostable and latch... I guess I was wrong.

The NOT gate is in the 7404 chip, isn't it?
I was stating the 74HC08 AND gate in your circuit.

Also, the reset pin of the 4013 is connected to the reset switch, as mentioned in the diagram, if you are referring to the other Q, that is "Q-bar" - the inverse of Q.
Consider what state the pin will assume when the RESET is not pressed, its floating

And I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by this.

If I'm wrong, please don't flame me, just say why I'm wrong. Thanks :)

hi,
I dont go in for flaming, it serves no useful purpose.:D

IMHO, 'chemlec''s circuit is the the simplest circuit for this OP's application

The other second choice 'em2006' circuit is the one with the PNP transistor inverter on the output.

My circuit while functional, is only a poor third place. :eek:

Last edited:
Aaaah, OK, see what you mean, thanks for not flaming :)

I guess that's one extra chip - 7408. However, I don't understand what you mean when you say 3 extra chips.

Also, the floating pin can be solved by connecting a resistor - however there is an immediate con to this: it would waste power. I did notice this and added an SPST switch to the circuit, but it would be an inconvenience. So, I can see exactly what you mean by this. :eek:

Thanks for clarifying all of this.

EDIT: Whilst I agree with the notation that chemlec's is the simplest, I don't understand how the circuit actually works. Would you mind clarifying this?

Last edited:

I guess that's one extra chip - 7408. However, I don't understand what you mean when you say 3 extra chips.

Also, the floating pin can be solved by connecting a resistor - however there is an immediate con to this: it would waste power. I did notice this and added an SPST switch to the circuit, but it would be an inconvenience. So, I can see exactly what you mean by this. :eek:

EDIT: Whilst I agree with the notation that chemlec's is the simplest, I don't understand how the circuit actually works. Would you mind clarifying this?

JUST BUILD IT. IT WORKS GOOD and COSTS VERY LITTLE.

You have a 4013, 7404 & a 7408, ie: thats three additional IC's that need adding to the 555 in order to make the circuit work

Also, the floating pin can be solved by connecting a resistor - however there is an immediate con to this: it would waste power.
The RESET resistor could be a 10K from that pin to 0V, while being pulled down by the 10k to 0V the 4013 is not being reset. The amount of 'wasted power' is minute. Only when the RESET switch is manually closed will the 10K draw current from the supply, then only ~500uA.

I did notice this and added an SPST switch to the circuit, but it would be an inconvenience. So, I can see exactly what you mean by this. :eek:

In 'chemlecs' circuit the timing resistor and capacitor have been switched over.

As suggested, just build it.:)

wow, until now i dodnt know there was a second or third page of discussion!
Whenever i visited the forum it didnt show up. it must have been some caching error or something, its happened before.

I will try to learn more about how all these gates and such you are talking about work, i havent really needed to know much of this until now, though, it shouldnt be too hard.
Anywa, thankyou for all your responses, youve helped a great deal!

Last edited:
A 555 circuit is very wasteful when you are just powering a LED.
The same can be done with one or two transistors.

Last edited:
The same can be done with one transistor.

How about showing your one transistor circuit to do the same thing so we have some common reference point?

And, I am still not clear on what you mean by "very wasteful." What is wasted in using the 555? Of course, seeing your one-transistor circuit may help answer that by allowing us to do a more compete cost analysis.

John

The same can be done with one transistor.
**broken link removed**

10 SECOND DELAY
This clever circuit turns on the LED 10 seconds after the power has been switched ON. The secret to its performance is the gain of the transistor.
With a gain of 200, the transistor will appear as a 470/200 = 2k3 resistor for the LED and for a 12v supply, this will create a current of 12-1.7 / 2300 = 4.4mA through the LED.
The 100u will take about 10 seconds to charge to a point where the base is 1.7v + 0.6v = 2.3v above the 0v rail. When the electro charges to this voltage, the LED starts to come on.

Last edited:
A CD4541B oscillator/programmable timer costs $.48 at Digikey today. It needs one capacitor and two resistors for its oscillator. Its timer is programmed with jumper wires.

A CD4541B oscillator/programmable timer costs $.48 at Digikey today. It needs one capacitor and two resistors for its oscillator. Its timer is programmed with jumper wires.

You can also use a PIC chip for 32 cents and it only needs one resistor.

You can also use a PIC chip for 32 cents and it only needs one resistor.
As long as you don't count the cost of the PIC programmer. ;)

At long last, saved! Thanks for the schematic, chemelec, and thanks for the link, Dr.james. I knew there had to be a way that a shadetree mechanic could work with.

Noticing in a sidebar that this thread is some two years old. Sure enough, Google never forgets.

The circuit shown by Chemelec in post #9 is the simplest to generate the desired delay and stay ON using a 555. Don't see the need for anything more complex.

To reset it you can connect a momentary reset switch between V+ and pin 2/6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back