how do i make 120v xmas lites work on 220v?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaikarl

strings of LED xmas lights are finally cheap this year - 5.00$ for a 50 lite string. they will be even cheaper for after xmas closeout sales. i'd like to take some home to thailand -where such things are $15.00 a string- and use them around our house there. but of course, thailand is 220v. i've been looking around online for how i can modify or adjust these things to work, but i dont' now enough electronics to even understand the methods, and no place addresses exactly this problem.

i know i could use a 220 to 110 transformer, but they get very warm, i'd have to buy a transformer for every place in the house i wanted lights, the transformers are expensive themselves, and that seems like such a brute-force method. LED's are 2v devices (more or less) and they got them to work on 110v, so how do i adjsust things to easlily handle 220v straight in?

help???? thans!

Hi,

just connect two 110V strings in series to make one 220V string. You won't need a transformer for that.

Boncuk

P.S. Welcome to Thailand. I'm living in Phetchabun (province Phetchabun)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…