Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do i go smaller than SMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

kybert

I have a project that i first prototyped on breadboard, then to veroboard, then to PCB, then SMT PCB.

It works 100% and has been tested in almost every possible way, but it is too large...

I need the product to be about 1cm x 1cm, including a lithum battery, and only 1-2mm think (ideally flexable).

I've seen the inside of calculators, there is a small black blob that contains the circuits, im assuming just a wafer of silicon is under the blob.

How do i get my circuit put in this format?

Im using a PIC microcontroller, will this be a problem? I doubt that microchip will release the raw wafer of their product...

The uP is really a must, as it preforms some quite tricky timing tasks.

Microchip sells raw wafers, but the minimum order is probabely a couple of 1000...
Also, you have to be able to handle a raw wafer, if it gets dust on it then its broken...

How many pins does your application require on the PIC?
if it's 4 or less you could always take a look at the PIC10F series...
basically the 12C core in a SOT23 package

kybert said:
I've seen the inside of calculators, there is a small black blob that contains the circuits, im assuming just a wafer of silicon is under the blob.

How do i get my circuit put in this format?

'You' probably don't, it's not something you could do at home, presumably it needs very expensive machines to make it possible?.

Im using a PIC microcontroller, will this be a problem? I doubt that microchip will release the raw wafer of their product...

As Exo says, I'm sure MicroChip will happily sell you wafers, plenty of other products use them - but, presumably, you need large order quantities and the technology to use them.

If you want a wafer to try and play with, try getting hold of a PIC based smart card and removing the wafer - they usually use the 16F84.

Assuming this is for a commercial product you would probably be better off sub-contracting the construction to a company experienced in this type of project - and who already have the required equipment to do the job. I suspect you would need to be ordering in the thousands to make it viable, it's probably only one or two steps below having a custom IC built.

Possibly MicroChip would be able to make recommendations on suitable companies for such tasks?.

the "black blob" chips are referred to as "chip on board" devices... you can often buy devices in this format; you're not going to get a raw wafer (you would then have to cut it)... you will just get individual die cut out of the wafer. you'll still be up the creek without a paddle though, since there's no way you'll be able to extrude extra-fine gold wires from the aluminum bond pads on the couple-millimeters-square die.

as others said, the only way you're going to be able to do COB is to contract it out to a company that has the equipment and experience. otherwise, you'll need to just find the smallest-package PIC that you can.

you can get some bloody smal serial PIC's if you really want to shrink your board right donw

Styx said:
you can get some bloody smal serial PIC's if you really want to shrink your board right donw
Serial pics? Havn't heard of them ?!

-- As for the PIC10F, it appears to not be released yet - but would be an ideal device.

give me a few days, they are always advatised in "electronics weekly" and I have thrown out this weeks,

I'm pretty sure that they were serial PIC chips???

Can I see the schematics? I'm pretty good at designing compact PCBs in my PCB creation program. I'll get it as small as I can if you let me see the schematics. That's about all I can do to help. :lol:

hi,

Still finalising the design. Having a few problems finding the required components and at RF freequencies, PCB track length has a relivent inductance (~10nH/inch), so this can be used to change the value of an inductor if required (and i think it will be required).

When i have a sch, i shall post and let everyone decide if its at-all possible.

Looks like i may have to sub-contract the PCB design as well as production to a company with RF layout experience, as doing it myself will be next to impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back