Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do I build an eletromagnetic field? "cross-posted

Status
Not open for further replies.

stardustie87

I am currently doing a science fair project on comparing the way a north eletro magnetic field and a south electro magnetic field will effect Harvester Ant farms.

I am sorry about all these questions but I am having a difficult time finding research on the electromagnetic fields. However, I have about 40 pages on the ants.

First, I don't understand the difference between the North and south.

Second, I was given two batteries, two magnets (each with a north and south end) and copper wire. I have two wooden rectangular frames around the at farms to wrap the copper wire around.

-OK, with the above materials, how am I supposed to make these fields cannot seem to find any other online sources to help me.

If you could possibly talk to me or explain here, I would be immensely grateful. How do I build an eletromagnetic field? I do not have a teacher mentor or I wouldhave asked, I am not being lazy.

aim- stardustie87

or if you know any books or websites, please tell me also.

Thank you again.

i dont see how you couldn't have found anything on electromagnets on the internet. did you try google? just typing in "electromagnets" reveals a TON of information on them.

Yes, I know. I found a lot of stuff about electromagnetic fields but I do not know how to apply that information to what I have to do.

The websites I looked on do not have information about how to make a north electromagentic field and a south eletromagnetic field.

Am I supposed to loop the copper wire around the south side of one magnet, face the south side towards the ant farms, then take the same wire and circle it around the farms and connect it to the battery (but, on what end positivce or negative)

and..

then do the same for the ant farm I am testing with a north electromagnetic fields?

to tell u the truth, i dnt know squat bout electromagnets, but ill do the best that i can :lol: . and remember, i mite b wrong.

first off, i don't see why you need to be using electromagnets. depending on how large the ant farm is, i would imagine that a strong regular magnet would work. Make sur though, that when you do your project, let's say for example, with the south magnet, that the magnet is to the north of the project, otherwise your south magnet will just be reinforcing the earth's south magnet . . . if that makes sense. and vica versa with the north magnet.

If you must use electromagnets, i believe that electromagnets aren't designed to stay on all the time. if you think about it, they're just a short circuit. If you power the electromagnet with a battery, it will drain the batery very quickly. I would recommend using a wall transformer as your power source.

sounds like a pretty cool science fair project.

OK thank you, yes then I think I will skip on the electromagnets because what you said reinforces what I had been thinking.

Now what my teacher told me to do was use a battery to power it, however, I am not so sure about that. Then, someone else suggested I use the wall socket but my parents don't like the idea of that. Then, my dad suggested I use a model train transformer. Is what your suggesting that I use the wall socket?

Thank you so much for helping.

Yes, I like the project too. Last year I tested how sound waves have an effect on Harvester Ants. I am very interested in insects.

Ok
use the wooden frames to wrap the wire around
how long was the wire ?
your dad was right in using an electric train powersupply/tramsformer..it will last longer than batteries..
as far as electromagnetic fields go, if you do as you suggested , with the wire wrapped around the frames ,the magnetic field will pass through the inside of the loop..
if you put the magnet on something that will float, and put it in a bowl of water, and put the loop of wire with the battery connected ,around the bowl the magnet will move .
.since opposites attract ,and like poles repel, the floating magnet with no frame ,no battery, will come to rest with one pole pointing north .
with the frame energized with the battery, you shound be able create an artificial north pole for the ants...

Dusty, first of all lets get some correct terminology.

I think that you are trying to create a MAGNETIC field.
An ELECTRO-MAGNETIC field is somewhat different, it is what comes off the antenna of a radio transmitter.

The earth has a magnetic field, which runs from the North (magnetic) pole to the South (magnetic) pole. The earths magnetic poles are not in quite the same places as the geographic poles, which is why magnetic compasses dont work too well in the far north or south.

The magnets you have have two poles (north and south), if the magnet is allowed to swing freely, the north pole of the magnet would point to the north pole of the earth and similarly the south pole of the magnet will point to the south pole of the earth.
This is how a compass works.

So, the magnets have their own magnetic field which you could use to distort the earths magnetic field around your ant farm.
I guess the way to test this is to take the magnets away from the farm and put a compass in the farm then you can see the direction of the earths magnetic field. Now bring the magnets to the farm and make the compass needle point (say) east instead of north. Now see if the ants do anything different!

It is also possible to create a magnetic field by passing an electric current through a coil of wire, you have now made an ELECTROMAGNET, and like the bar magnets it will have a MAGNETIC field with a north pole and a south pole, which may or may not confuse the ants.

The current flowing in the coil of wire must be a direct current such as comes from a battery. Also it is unlikely that the battery will last very long when connected to a few turns of wire.

The model train transformer MAY work, but beware, it may not give out a nice clean direct current but rectified alternating current, fine for driving a model train, but will create a magnetic field which pulses 120 times per second (if you are in USA, 100 times per second in Europe).

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES CONNECT COILS OF WIRE TO A WALL SOCKET.
The likely result will be a big flash and a bang, and you and the ants will be off to that big ant farmin the sky.

I hope this helps.

JimB

WilliB posted as I was typing (and thinking).

The model train transformer MAY work, but beware, it may not give out a nice clean direct current but rectified alternating current,
i never thought that it wouldent be Pure DC..
good point :wink:

Thank you very much for clearing up the ambiguity of my project for me. I will report back in a week to tell you guys the results if you want. Thank you again. If you would like to be acknowledged in my works consulted, I will do so. Just email me your information- stardustie87@aol.com or post it here. Thank you so much again.

williB said:
i never thought that it wouldent be Pure DC..
good point :wink:

oh yea, try connecting a "DC" 9v wall transformer to a radio transmitter or audio circuit. it hums around 50 HZ.

Dustie

I would be interested to know how you (and the ants) get on, just post it on the end here when you are done.
No need for an acknowledgement in your report, I am just a helpfull guy, sometimes!

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back