Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do FET's work in a charger/inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quantised

I have an old inverter/charger from circa 1990. Built using a massive transformer and FET switches - 32 in total with some control logic boards. When in invert mode the 12 volt input gets 'fired' at the correct frequency and produces a quasi sine output (120 volts) across the transformer! Well that it what I presume.

But what happens in the charger mode, 120 v is applied across the xfrmr and 14 v is the output. What I would like to know is do the FET's act like a passive diode to rectify the output or do they need to be 'fired' in a controlled way with a timed signal to the gate or even a constant gate current/voltage.

Any help appreciated here.

Without the circuit I can't be sure, but I think that the body diodes in the FETs will rectify passively.

The power loss can be reduced if the FETs are turned on actively at the same time.

Trying to upload the circuit diagram but it rejects it on size so a section showing just the FETs is shown at the moment.

The output at 12 v is up to 120 amps so quite large currents. pin 11 and 12 from the gate goes to an SG 3524 which is (or was) a pretty standard control chip.. I can try and get that whole section loaded as well.

The charger board is separate and also has an SG 3524 controller on board that drives a triac to control AC amps and that part works OK now. There is a single connection from the charger pcb to the inveter pcb and I am trying to figure out if this is turning the FETs on.

Fet board.JPG

The transformer has two terminals numbered '7' :confused:. I hope they're not galvanically connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back