Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I control a servo using Great Cow Basic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigsawkiller

I'm trying to control a servo using Great Cow Basic (GCBasic). I will be using the PIC18F4520 to control the servo.

So far, I have the following code which I have ported from BASIC Stamp code that does work:

Code:
#chip 18f4520, 4

dim Cnt as word

dir PORTB.0 OUT

do
        'Counterclockwise:
	FOR Cnt = 1 to 20
		pulseout PORTB.0, 1000 ms
		wait 20 ms
	NEXT

'Center:
	FOR Cnt = 1 to 20
		pulseout PORTB.0, 750 ms
		wait 20 ms
	NEXT

'Clockwise:
	FOR Cnt = 1 to 20
		pulseout PORTB.0, 500 ms
		wait 20 ms
	NEXT
loop

However, the above code only makes the servo turn clockwise in even interval.

Please provide some code that could make a servo work correctly on GCBASIC. Everything compiles correctly, I'm sure the Micro controller and the servo are working. I even tried the code in ISIS simulator and get the same results as in real life.

Thank you...

Last edited:
Try changing the for loops to something like 200 so it will wait in each position for 4 seconds. That is, FOR Cnt = 1 to 200.

Edit, also make sure that the compiler knows the speed of your chip. The default speed for that chip is 1MHz. To make it 4MHz try adding OSCCON=0x62.

Mike.

Last edited:
Need to be shooting for 1ms, 1.5ms, 2ms. So try using 100 10us, 150 10us, and 200 10us in the Pulseout command.

Also GCBasic presumes the oscillator is an external crystal as the default. So if you are using the internal oscillator, the config should be:

Code:
#chip 18f4520, 4
#config OSC=INTIO2

Try changing the for loops to something like 200 so it will wait in each position for 4 seconds. That is, FOR Cnt = 1 to 200.

Edit, also make sure that the compiler knows the speed of your chip. The default speed for that chip is 1MHz. To make it 4MHz try adding OSCCON=0x62.

Mike.

Thanks for the response, but I tried what you said about changing the loop time and it still works the same way, only a bit slower. I also tried OSCCON = 0x62, still get same results.

The compiler already knows it's running at 4 MHz, hence
Code:
#chip 18F4520a, 4
Where the 4 is the clock frequency in MHz.

I'm using an external oscillator.

Last edited:
Whoops, missed the actual delay values. Shouldn't he just do a pulse out of 1000 - 2000uS? Wont 100 10uS pulseout commands send 100 pulses?

I've never used GCB so the above may be completely wrong.

Mike.

Whoops, missed the actual delay values. Shouldn't he just do a pulse out of 1000 - 2000uS? Wont 100 10uS pulseout commands send 100 pulses?

I've never used GCB so the above may be completely wrong.

Mike.
The Pulseout command would be a one-shot turn this pin on for xxxx wait/delay cycles, then turn off. So 100 10us is the same as 1000us without the overhead of word sized assembler instructions (presuming that a variable will be used on down the road). Also a fast clock (i.e. 20 Mhz) will be needed if variables will be used in conjunction with us wait/delay variables.

I can't see how 100 10uS pulseouts would not be a 1mS long 100kHz pulse.

Mike.

Sorry that I did not explain that well enough, check the GCBasic help file here on PulseOut. To put it another way, there is only one pulse, per PulseOut command. To do Qty (100) 10us PulseOuts then:

Code:
For count = 1 to 100
     PulseOut PortB.0, 1 10us
next

These statements are all equivalent in GCBasic:
Code:
PulseOut PortB.0, 1 ms
PulseOut PortB.0, 100 10us
PulseOut PortB.0, 1000 us

Quote: "Need to be shooting for 1ms, 1.5ms, 2ms."

I think that is the problem, program does not, to me, seem to be using these timings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back