Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

House wiring help

Status
Not open for further replies.
20160623_015639.jpg

Attachments

• 20160623_015639.jpg
    20160623_015639.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 161
Welcome to ETO, febin!

What country are you in? I've never seen outlets with those pin arrangement(s).

At a quick guess, India.

They are the ancient UK 5amp and 15amp sockets from 60 years ago.

JimB

PS South Africa uses the old UK 15 amp sockets.

There are still houses in the Uk with those bulgin 5 and 15a sockets, allthough I've never seen a dual socket like those.
The ones before that were wylex, 2 square and one round pin for earth.

Welcome here Febin.

There are still houses in the Uk with those bulgin 5 and 15a sockets, allthough I've never seen a dual socket like those.
The ones before that were wylex, 2 square and one round pin for earth.

Actually there were more types than that, including a 13A round pinned plug, with one of the pins (the live obviously) been a screw-in fuse :D

They are listed at the bottom of here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_po...itish_three-pin_.28round.29_plugs_and_sockets

Must admit, I never knew they were called D&S until now :D

I notice the Wylex mains plug is shown there as well.

The reason I know about mains plugs is because we had to have all types on the benches at work, for repairing customers equipment - and a number of the local council properties used to use the D&S plugs.

When we moved premises the other year, and I equipped the new workshop, I dropped all the old sockets with the exception of 2-pin 5A, which come in useful.

D and S plugs, awful things!

I came across them at the shipyard in Barrow. The whole yard was wired up with the damned things.
They were hard to insert and remove, needed lots of force.
Most of them had no cable clamp, just a silly rubber washer to hold the cable.

Certain places in the yard had DC mains for some odd reason.
That did not do the 2kVA transformer much good when I plugged it into an extension board which unbeknown to me had 220v dc on it.
Wow did the burnt varnish stink!

JimB

Actually Nige I thought the round pin plugs the o/p posted were the screw in fuse type, I guess there were several.
At one time even the voltage changed depending on where you lived, bet that was fun.
I had a cabin cruiser that had 2a and 5a round pin plugs on 12v battery supply., I think the idea was to use connectors that were not common place for 240v.

FEBIN

If you want help with this, you need to show a picture of the wiring side of the extension block.

JimB

Yellow is ground/earth?

Febin

Try this.
I have split the wiring into three pictures for clarity, Earth, Live and Neutral.

JimB

AA Mains Block Earth.png AA Mains Block Live.png AA Mains Block Neutral.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back