Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

House Switch #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe NEC specifies the romex to be stapled every 3ft vertically (if my memory serves me correctly). Reason the sconce romex is stapled. Being a homeowner though you can get away with not doing it :p

Hey Ron:

New Wiring. Have you thought about doing this:

Run something like 14/3 to the switch and even 14/3 to the light. Lots of automation possibilities open up, when there is a neutral available at the switch at least.

One example is a ceiling fan controller: Some can use the switch side and others use the ceiling side, so you have control of the light and fan if you ran 14/3 from the switch to the light and had power available at the switch. You can also switch to the more conventional power at light and switch the hots.

OK...it's done.
No problems.
Essentially I was just adding ONE wire...sorry for creating a short-story novel out of this thing.
Anyway...it all works fine, took my time, everything is safe.

It ended up being a lot easier to feed the Romex up from the switch, rather than down from the sconce.
The sconce box is connected to some kind of metal Bar/Strap...it looks like, and is about the size of 2 pieces of Romex glued together (so you were right...NOT Romex). I was afraid if I took the sconce box all the way off, that I would never be able to get it back onto that bar again. So I just loosened it up quite a bit, rotated the box forward, so the bottom of the box went quite aways further into the wall, reached in with a hook I taped to a stick, grabbed the Romex, pulled it out, and then pushed it in through a knock-out in the top of the box.

So it is done, and it all works and looks fine.
Thanks to all of you guys.....I REALLY Appreciate it.

Back in a few weeks. My wife wants a sconce above her bed.
Thank You So Much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back