Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hot air soldering station

Status
Not open for further replies.

camerart

Hi,
Can anyone suggest a hot air gun, for soldering, especially SMD please? I'm a low output amateur!
Camerart.

I have a WEP 858D.
I bought it a year or so ago nd it seems to work OK for me, not that I consider myself an expert at SMD, just an amateur dabbler.

Before I bought it, I saw one or two comments on the interwebs about some of them which had been badly and dangerously wired.
So before I used mine I did a thorough visual inspection and mains/earthing continuity check and everything was fine.

JimB

Hi Both,
I've changed the title from gun to station, a much better choice.
Nightmare! I've followed link after link, and seen loads of stations with blowers, suckers, fume extractors, I didn't know there was so much to choose from.
I think I'll look for a station with bells and whistles, that takes up the least space, and has good reviews.
Thanks, C.

Hi Cam .. .. ..

Firstly ...

I'm a low output amateur!

Me too, although there are those on here who would substitute the word lunatic for amateur !

I bought one of these .. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YH-853D-...393966?hash=item2a845e392e:g:wjYAAOSwnbZYE0v3

.. ... ... .. from that supplier, just over 12 months ago.

I haven't used the hot air gun much because SMD gives me the ebejeebies, but what I have done with it has gone OK. It seems to do what it says. The unit includes a very nice little PSU with v & amp meters. Temperature control for Iron and Rework gun is quite adequate.

I was pleased to find that replacement tips and heater elements are of a standard type and therefore readily available; and unusually for equipment of far eastern origin .. .. .. the supplier ? .. 2 weeks after I began to use the soldering iron the element failed and I had to use the replacement supplied. I complained to the supplier and 2 further replacements arrived in the post FOC with an apology.

The only slight drawback I've found is that replacing a heater element requires another soldering iron to make the connections.

I hope that helps .. .. ..

S

Hi Both,
I've changed the title from gun to station, a much better choice.
Nightmare! I've followed link after link, and seen loads of stations with blowers, suckers, fume extractors, I didn't know there was so much to choose from.
I think I'll look for a station with bells and whistles, that takes up the least space, and has good reviews.
Thanks, C.

If I might add this link to the discussion as well. I write about how useful my hot air rework station has been in salvaging SMT parts off surplus circuit boards. The station I have makes removing SMT parts a breeze. No pun intended. Well maybe just a little. :)
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/articles/component-salvaging-using-rework-stations.791/

I have 2 x Aoyue 866 stations with soldering iron, hot air gun, and I.R PCB preheater. Been using them since 2013 , can't imagine not having them now.

Hi Cam .. .. ..

I haven't used the hot air gun much because SMD gives me the ebejeebies, but what I have done with it has gone OK. It seems to do what it says. The unit includes a very nice little PSU with v & amp meters. Temperature control for Iron and Rework gun is quite adequate.

I was pleased to find that replacement tips and heater elements are of a standard type and therefore readily available; and unusually for equipment of far eastern origin .. .. .. the supplier ? .. 2 weeks after I began to use the soldering iron the element failed and I had to use the replacement supplied. I complained to the supplier and 2 further replacements arrived in the post FOC with an apology.

The only slight drawback I've found is that replacing a heater element requires another soldering iron to make the connections.

I hope that helps .. .. ..

S
Hi M,
SMD gave me the ebejeebies, till I tried it, a couple of days ago, and was surprised how well I got on with it. If it's not easy for you, perhaps you've chosen components that are too small. I'm using 0805 (0.080"x0.050") If you can hold your breath for an hour or so, you'll start to enjoy it better :)

The fact that your iron element failed, tells me that the manufacturers, are new to it? I may go for an older one if this sound good, as it may have the glitches ironed out.
Ta, C.

I have 2 x Aoyue 866 stations with soldering iron, hot air gun, and I.R PCB preheater. Been using them since 2013 , can't imagine not having them now.
Hi M,
Bit on the high side of my price range, but not out of the question. It does look good though.
C.

Hi C .. .. ..

I don't think Yihua are 'new' to it, they've been around the soldering game for 10 years or so and the replacement I fitted has been in regular use ever since without issue.

The problem I have with SMD is that when they made me they didn't have fingers in stock, so they used Sainsburys Pork Sausage ! If I pick up a component, even with a pair of tweezers I need a flip top head to be able to see it !! :D

S

Last edited:
Reactions: jjw
Hi C .. .. ..

I don't think Yihua are 'new' to it, they've been around the soldering game for 10 years or so and the replacement I fitted has been in regular use ever since without issue.

The problem I have with SMD is that when they made me they didn't have fingers in stock, so they used Sainsburys Pork Sausage ! If I pick up a component, even with a pair of tweezers I need a flip top head to be able to see it !! :D

S
Hi S,
Ok, noted.
I'm looking at better ways of working. Tomorrow, I'll try different camera/screen combinations, instead of the magnifying lens. (Mine isn't very good)
C.

Morning C

How you getting on with it ??

S
Hi M, Re: **broken link removed**
This appears to be a cheaper version of the named ones, probably without a quality control at the end of the line. The one I received didn't work on the soldering iron hot airgun side. Once reported to the seller, I received another one in two days. I now have a spare soldering iron and hot air blower.
There is no current control etc as shown on other suggestions, but for the price (as long as it keeps going) it appears to be a good buy.
C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back