Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hooking speakers up to tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler

Hi, I currently have a 20 or so inch tv. I have my playstation 2 hooked up to the front red, white and yellow connectors(not sure what there called) I also have the same thing on the back. I want to hook 2 other speakers up to it.
Ok now for my question. I have some really nice speakers that hook into a normal cd player, with the single wire. How would I be able to hook these speakers up to my tv and use them for my tv, dvd, vcr, ps2 and all my audio. Could I buy some kind of surround sound system type thing, plug my ps2 and vcr and the speakers into it and then plug it into the red, yellow and white connectors on my tv. I hope I explained what I'm trying to do well enough. Could you please give me some help, on the most cost efficient way of doing this. I'm hoping to buy everything that I need used. I think I know what I need to do, I just need to know what the hardware is called so I know what to ask for. Thanks

Perhaps someone knows about the three wires you mentioned going from the playstation to the TV. It sounds like an audio/vidoe (A/V) connection the RCA jacks (about the size of a pincil eraser). Normally the red is the right channel audio, the white is the left channel audio, and the yellow would be the video connection. Although you say that you have the same thing in the back, I doubt they are active because most TVs switch A/V rear OR A/V front (of the TV) - not both.

Now, about the 'single wire' comming from your speakers. I immagine it is one physical wire with 3 actual wires inside (right channel audio, left channel audio, common ground). Is there a plug on the end of the wire with three seperate sections seperated by a band of plastic?

Recommend you review your TV and playstation manuals for hints as to how the systems work for hints. It may be as simple as building a box with 2 RCA jacks (for the red and white Playstation input plugs) feeding a miniture stereo jack (for the 'single wire' going to your speakers).

hmm sounds to me like if you have speakers with a single plug at the end to go into a cdplayer (i'm assuming 1/8 inch) that you need a female 1/8 in. to rca audio cable

however, as gene said, you can't just simply plug them into the back if you have the rest of the stuff plugged into the front, it is one OR the other.

also, i don't believe RCA ports are in/out, i think they are only in.... so as far as hooking up speakers at all... i don't think you can do that, you need a receiver.

If the TV have a sound line out (RCA or SCART) just hook up to Hi-Fi-tower line in.

I tried using the second scart output on the back of my TV to output the sound via RCA's into my hi-fi, but it only worked when using the AV channels not for normal TV aswell :(

To try to narrow this thing down, I would disconnect the red, white, and yellow wires from the TV (one at a time) and record the result. I would expect the TV sound (of the playstation) to stop on the right channel when you disconnect the red wire. I would expect the TV sound (of the playstation) to stop on the left chanel when you unplug the white wire. I would expect you to loose playstation picture when you unplug the yellow wire. Let us know what happens.

Also, are the speakers you want to use amplified (i.e., use power and have a volume control)?

You should have a red and white RCA outputs on the back of the tv, they are often seperate from the red, white, and yellow RCA inputs and they might have a label of Audio Output or so. If your speakers can connect to a bookshelf type stereo system then you should be able to connect the tv to the stereo with RCA cables(one red, one black or white). The RCA plugs on the back of the stereo might be labeled audio input or aux input. When you turn the stereo on make sure it is in aux mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back