Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Honda quiet Inverter Generators vs. non-linear loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex0432

Can a guru help with my electric boat project ? With a 2500-watt (generic) inverter-type, 120vac sine-wave generator, what will happen with non-linear bridge-rectifier battery chargers or switch-mode power supplies for 24 vdc ramping up to more than half of the generator output rating ? The 24vdc loads are for extended running on the liminted 24vdc battery electric boat.

Thank you !

Am I understanding that you are going to use a Honda generator to power a inverter type battery charger system to run the power for an electrically driven boat?

You may very well be loads of time and money ahead to get a small gas engine and use it to run a stock 24 volt alternator to get the 24 volts DC. A 1500 watt load would only take a 3 hp engine to run it and a 24 volt alternator would have to put out around 62.5 amps to maintain it.
A stock 80 - 100 amp 24 volt commercial application alternator is fairly common so they are easy top find used rather cheaply and they can hold up at 80% load continuous duty on most of them!
I pick up used ones for under $20 each and the rebuild kits to make them like new are typically $50 to $100 depending on the manufacturer and model. And many of them are rated for full output at 3600 rpm so its possible to direct drive one right off of the engine without a belting system! Makes it much more compact too!

Used 3 hp engines can be found for around $25 to $50. Think lawn and garden equipment! The machine or the owner typically wears out or breaks long before the engine does!

That is a different approach ! I have been locked into the very quite generators because QUIET is the primary goal of my electric boat project.

ah the quiet factor! I always liked the Honda gen sets! They used very good rubber vibration isolators and some top notch multi chambered mufflers!
That is their secret to quiet!
Take the Honda rubber isolators and muffler system and put it on the most obnoxious B & S and they seem like totally different engine!

Got any specs on the actual components you are wanting to use?
And I am just curoius, what you need a super quiet electric boat for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back