Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Homemade wifi antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

A year ago or so my wifi card was getting horrible reception(1mbps and sometimes 5.5mpbs), and just a while ago i cut it open and find that the big heavy wire that was soldered to it broke off. I soldered a wire to it and soldered the end of that wire to a big piece of copper sheeting and now I get much better (but not perfect) connection, 18mbps. What are tips on making your own wifi antennas?

Do a google search, there is a plethora of DIY antenna ideas out there. Some are very easy some not so.

Yeah, Im going to get some cable and a connector and make a decent one, and I have plenty of copper sheets (for flex circuits).

Heh, I took off the big piece of copper sheet and stripped the wire, now I get full 54mbps speed. I guess the piece of copper was not good for the signal.

If you want to increase your range these parabolic reflectors work really well.

www.freeantennas.com

I was trying to give my neighbor internet access off of my wifi router and put one of those old linksys bridge wps11's in his window, slapped a couple of reflectors on both sides and it nearly worked. During the winter it was working okay, dropped probably 10% of the packets but when the leaves came out in the spring packet loss went to 75%. The distance was over 400 meters... I gave it a valiant effort. I finally broke down and told him to get cheap high speed. :D

Last edited:
I got the impression that Krum solved his problem.

I just thought that other people might be interested in increasing their range.

Yeah I solved my problem with a single piece of wire. Now I get as good of reception as it was with the original antenna :)

I think it is cool to see other ideas posted. No harm done :D

Amusing picture time!
117: Workstation Computer
119: my entire workstation/xbox360 gaming setup. Computer hooked up to TV in vga. Computer is a duron 700mhz 368mb ram with 40gb hdd.
120: close up fuzzy picture of power and reset button. Power LED doesnt work x.x
121: mangled WIFI antenna
122: wifi card w/antenna
123: new wifi antenna (works pretty much the same, looks better)

Attachments

• 100_0117.JPG
    100_0117.JPG
    370.3 KB · Views: 1,441
  • 100_0119.JPG
    100_0119.JPG
    356 KB · Views: 1,759
  • 100_0120.JPG
    100_0120.JPG
    351.4 KB · Views: 728
  • 100_0121.JPG
    100_0121.JPG
    318.1 KB · Views: 1,152
  • 100_0122.JPG
    100_0122.JPG
    403.4 KB · Views: 2,851
  • 100_0123.JPG
    100_0123.JPG
    267.1 KB · Views: 5,821
A discarded Dish TV dish or similar can be easily transformed for WiFi yielding gain in the 20db numbers with reception easily beyond a mile. There are reports of reception up to several miles away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back