Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Home Theater LED Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

carracr625

Hey all I just found this forum & thought that you could help me out. I have an idea for using leds to illuminate my home theater setup. I thought of using some of those tube style led bars, meant for automotive uses, & just getting some kind of small 12v power supply to run them. But then I figured it would be more fun & cheaper to buy some bulk leds & wire them myself. I am experienced in car & home audio applications, but thats the limit of my electronics knowledge. My plan is to mount rows of leds behind my entertainment center (to illuminate the wall behind) & along the back of the glass shelves that support my components (to illuminate the edges of the glass). What I need your help with is...well pretty much everything. Which leds I should use? How do I wire them for use with A/C? What other components I'll need (I'm sure some sort of transformer & resitors)? And lastly how to mount them. I'm very comfortable wiring & soldering for 12v applications, but I've never built anthing for A/C use. I just want to be sure I'm doing it correctly & safely. I don't want to burn the house down (ha-ha)!

Also, if you think my original idea would work better let me know.

The ever usefull Resistor Calculator
**broken link removed**

Have a look around his circuit collection , you might find some usefull.

A wide range of colours is to be had these days, though the combined single package Red/Green/Blue LED , sometimes called "rainbow leds"
may be of interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back