Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Home made bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My main workbench is pretty solid with 4x4's for legs and large locking wheel casters. The frame is out of 2x6's that has been dadoo'd to receive two layers of 3/4" subfloor, so that they sit flush with the top. Same with the legs, dadoo'd out for 2x4's across the skirt so that they sit flush all around the legs. The contact cement trick has worked great for years, now one corner is a little loose, nothing a flushmount screw won't fix. You have one chance to get it right with contact cement so I cut the shower board 1/2" inch too big all around then used a flush trimmer bit on the router.

The height chosen was the same as my table saw so I can use it for a outfeed table.

This isn't gonna be quiet that nice gabe =) I don't have a lot of woodworking tools, just he basics and this is my first time building anything, I'm sure I can handle some rough 2x4 frames and a plywood top with a hardboard contact cemented to the plywood. The legs are going to be 4x4, rather than any kind of exotic wood working I'm probably just going to use some 90 degree angle brackets for reinforcement.

I can sand down the rough edges, though I am already thinking about a router.

Last edited:
At maybe 10-12 yrs old, was only allowed to use a jig saw, so that's what I used. Dad cut the plywood and the masonite with a hand circular saw. I wired the bench. Legs are 2x 4's too.

I'll spare you the details of my bench, but if you haven't started too far already, I second the idea of leaving an overhang off the front edge to be able to clamp stuff. I didn't do this with my bench, and I often have wished I had. Instead, the front of my bench (under the plywood) is a 2x4. I have a small clamp-type vice I like to use, but I can never clamp it to my bench, because the clamp doesn't open far enough (one of these days I'll figure out a solution - hopefully short of replacing the top surface, but it might come to that!)...

Go visit a hospital and ask for a door used on patient rooms. They are fire rated, heavy as hell from solid construction, won't break even from repeated hits from a 5lb. maul, and won't warp. I did that and got one for free. Then I headed to a sheet-metal shop and had them cut and bend a tin cover to place atop the benchtop. Next I had a metal surface that I could quickly set in place when working on greasy or metal stuff that would chip away at wood. For woodworking projects, remove the tin cover and store against a wall.

The bench build is gonna be a couple weeks, I haven't even gotten materials yet, was thinking about it this weekend but got sidelined by reality, so it's gonna be next weekend for materials, and another week for construction. I'll keep the constructions tips in mind for 'version two' but my primary goal is to get a usable working surface up, the original cabinets for the house were hacked apart and put in the basement when the previous owners renovated, so right now I'm working with half assed kitchen counter tops in bad disrepair that were cut apart and tacked together with 2x4 backing in a few places, at least six inches too low.

Right now I'm looking at two three by four tables with basic frames 16 inches on center, using approximately half inch or thicker plywood with the tempered hardboard top, using 4x4 with legs, I'm gonna keep the wood working simple for now so I'll use steel angel brackets and some basic sheet metal for leg reinforcement, with 1 2x4 bracer at the middle of the legs and another a couple inches off the ground.

Think I'm gonna hit up Craigs list this week too see if I can find some material to work with.

Scead, just go to your local salvage. Be what ever it is it's some sort of place that keeps and sells old furnishings? You may find what your looking for and it will never end up in the the waist disposal municipality.

Salvage anything you can that will give you the best result. Even if in short term. I like HiTech's solution. For long term.

Last edited:
Fresh into the house, don't have those kind of connections locally. Scrambling =)

Scead, I used a similar design to Hitechs and used outside doors (solid core) and they work great. The holes for the locks and knobs are a great way to organize cables and provide a way to keep the bench top clutter to a minimum. I have 3 of the units following a wall, turning a corner and following that wall. It's great and it cost me -10.00USD. Thats right the guy getting rid of the doors paid me 10.00 for the landfill fees!!!! So I came out to the good and have a really tough, well organize bench at the exact height I need to work confortably. My wheel chair fits under the front edge so I can siddle in close and not worry about dropping stuff in my lap or on the floor. Super consideration since the dogs claim and eat whatever gets to that level. Definately do not want a dog sick or injured by that stuff either. Just my .02, FWIW but I am very happy with my bench/office set up in my spare bedroom. Added bonus is it will never be a bedroom again so the kids dont come to stay, a short visit and they are ready to go back to their homes and leave me alone!!!
Bob

I was also gonna mention you can stack 2x3 or better yet, 2x4s on end (like a butcher block countertop). Glue and screw them together to unitize them. Cover them with a tempered masonite hardboard. That will stand up to tons of repeated abuse. A real USA made machinist's vise (80lbs+) will never sag or warp that benchtop. You can even head to a home improvement center and get a piece of thick rubber mat cut to length as a surface protector for when you tear down those lousy Briggs or Tecumseh engines. My workbench has never seen a Kohler, Wisconsin, nor a Honda motor on it --- they are that reliable! If it's an electronics bench you are after, then this would be overkill. But then, I prefer heavy duty stuff myself 'cause I never know what extra-duty, abusive task I might subject it to someday. :D

G'day Hitech,
Funny you mention the butcher block method of making a bench. I made one when I had my leather business going, it was 2.4x1.2 metres and it took me close to a month of sawing the red gum to length then glueing them to together. Once I had all the blocks made in smaller sections I made a pipe clamp to brace the smaller squares to make the full bench. I had it setup in my workshop for about 6 months then oneday a customer came in and asked about the bench. He asked me if I would sell it and I said after all the hardwork I'll take no less than 3K for it. The guy shook my hand and asked do ya want cash mate.... I never did get to make another one but man was that bench great for cutting full hides and never dulling the knives.

Cheers Bryan

Yeah man, you can put a truck motor on a bench made like that... there's so much strength in that construction method even when using a pine 2x4 let alone hardwood like ash, hickory or maple. When I made mine years back, for the bench legs, I used heavy duty shelf supports from Industrial shelving... like what's used in steel yards or lumber yards. They already had nice end flanges welded to them so that made for a nice foot to each leg. That bench to take repeated hits from a 20# sledge hammer. Too bad it didn't go with me in my move to the new home. I got lazy and tired of moving stuff and decided it was one more thing too heavy to move so I left it behind for the new owner. Turns out the new owner was an accountant with a kitchen cabinet drawer for a tool box. That bench prolly got dumped somewhere. :(

All ideas are welcome, if I can't use the idea then perhaps someone else can, anyone that has anything to add on the matter even if it's for their needs should post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back