Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"High volume" speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilinski

What are "high volume speakers?" There is a webpage ad for some helmet speakers (Helmet speakers motorcycle speaker) that are listed as high volume. The specs of 32 ohms and the standard frequency stuff seems pretty much the same as any set I could buy at Target, Radio Shack, etc. What would high volume speakers be?

The very expensive speakers say 20W and max 500mW. Max 500mW is only 250mW continuously. Then what is 20W? Maybe they are 20 grams.

106dB without a distance and amount of power is meaningless.
The frequency response without saying how much deviation is also meaningless.

It could be BS, but I can tell you that MC speakers have to be able to deliver very high sound levels to get above the wind and motor noise. You will end up making yourself deaf, but that's why the speakers have to be able to go so loud.

Speakers that are touching your ears are very loud.
I bought a cheap clock radio for only $1.49. Its speaker is tiny like headphones use but is deafening if it touches my ear. The max output is probably only 0.5W.

Ordinary low priced headphones are deafening with only 50mW (0.05W).

Speakers that are touching your ears are very loud.
I bought a cheap clock radio for only $1.49. Its speaker is tiny like headphones use but is deafening if it touches my ear. The max output is probably only 0.5W.

Ordinary low priced headphones are deafening with only 50mW (0.05W).

So you're saying there really is such a thing as a "high volume speaker?"

By the way, I wasn't asking for myself. Someone on the Motorcycle Tourers' Forum asked if anyone knew about these because she didn't want to buy a Boostaroo. Since I've never heard of a high volume speaker, I asked. So now I'm guessing there really is such a thing and it's not just advertising BS?

These are just headphone transducers without the headphones. 500mW through them would be deafening. Most headphone amplifiers are only good for 100mW or so into a 32 ohm load.

$79.99 for a pair of cheap little speakers ($2.00) that do not have a datasheet is a big ripoff.
Oh, the Velcro might cost $1.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back