Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High output LED emitters. Help me wade through the BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastline

We were asked to look into some specialty lighting for a few applications and provide a bid. However, I just cannot get my head around ALL the products available and their ratings are all over the map, making it ridiculous to wade through all of them.

We really need to drive these efficiently. Approx 150lm/W, and not use a million diodes to do it. I have looked at several of the Cree offerings but I really need a list of less known brands we can consider because as of right now, Cree is just out of the budget unless we can find something else in their line that will work. For instance, they list a 13W LED and 170lm/W. Then you get in there and realizing you have to drive it at 1W to get 170lm/W and it is down to like 90lm/W at 13W. I mean, they would work, but certainly NOT for several dollars each! I suspect lots of these markets are looking at non-continuous use where efficiency is less an issue.

I am familar with Osram and Lumileds so far. Looks like Lumileds and Cree have conspired to match each others price because they are both expensive.

I would really prefer higher drive voltages but we can probably work with what is otherwise a better fit.

We are looking at lights to be installed inside large assembles during the assembly process for a 24/7 operation. They will need operation table light levels with good CRI so we need to push, but we need the efficiency to reduce heating in the area.

Looks like Lumileds and Cree have conspired to match each others price because they are both expensive.

That's quite an accusation, conspiring. Maybe both use similar (expensive) raw materials like trimethyl gallium, trimethyl indium and trimethyl aluminum all purified to 99.9999% or better and deposit them in just the right conditions onto a single crystal sapphire substrate in the presence of highly purified ammonia. Then cut them into tiny chips, wire bond them to a package you can solder. Maybe one is losing money on each piece they sell because they have to offer them at a price equal or lower than their competitor - no cust9mer will pay extra for an LED from one supplier if efficiency and lifetime are rated the same. Conspire? Find another word.

As for "expensive", if it is the only LED that meets your needs, what is the right price? If they have something that solves a perticular problem for a niche market, they may be able to sell for much more than they are charging (medical, aerospace, diamond cuttting, ...) and you just stumbled upon them.

Last edited:
We were asked to look into some specialty lighting for a few applications and provide a bid. However, I just cannot get my head around ALL the products available and their ratings are all over the map, making it ridiculous to wade through all of them.

We really need to drive these efficiently. Approx 150lm/W, and not use a million diodes to do it. I have looked at several of the Cree offerings but I really need a list of less known brands we can consider because as of right now, Cree is just out of the budget unless we can find something else in their line that will work. For instance, they list a 13W LED and 170lm/W. Then you get in there and realizing you have to drive it at 1W to get 170lm/W and it is down to like 90lm/W at 13W. I mean, they would work, but certainly NOT for several dollars each! I suspect lots of these markets are looking at non-continuous use where efficiency is less an issue.

I am familar with Osram and Lumileds so far. Looks like Lumileds and Cree have conspired to match each others price because they are both expensive.

I would really prefer higher drive voltages but we can probably work with what is otherwise a better fit.

We are looking at lights to be installed inside large assembles during the assembly process for a 24/7 operation. They will need operation table light levels with good CRI so we need to push, but we need the efficiency to reduce heating in the area.

Hi

Those sort of questions are exactly why companies have presales engineers. They should be able to help you choose the right product.
Contact a reputable manufacturer and they should be able to direct you to a local distributor that can further address your requirements.

eT

These http://www.ledlampshining.com/ guys were rrally nice to work with and I only bought one lamp. In my case, the dimming ballast came with the lamp. There is no nomenclature on the laps at all, but I was told that anything can be written on them. So, it looks like it was build to order and I had it within 2 weeks to the US. They shipped DHL. It was about $50.00 USD lamp and $50.00 shipping.

I'll make one comment because I had to learn too and don;t expect everyone to know this. 0-10 V is different than 1-10 V dimming. 0-10V dimming will dim to OFF. 1-10V dimming will not. The latter may require you to cut power to actually turn the LED off making control more complex. 1-10 V seesm to be generation #1, 0-10 V, generation #2 and having a balast that can dim <10% generation #3 as far as I can tell.

I did not get a chance to look at Spectrum vs Intensity issues, but they are in there too.

You have to have cooling for the LEDs and thus closed fixture operation can have issues.

I haven;t put the custom controller I want to use together quite yet. Basically, I want to use a 1950's style Mongul (E39) based floor lamp and control it with a Credenza-style cord slide dimmer. Definitely, not an off the shelf product either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back