Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High fidelity audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Banned
Sites like this make me want to go on a homicidal rampage.
**broken link removed**

I have a fine tuned tube amp. based system. My Ac cords already incorporate Wattgate plugs. I used this one to replace the Hospital grade one I was using in the wall. This new plug truly redefined the experience from listening my sound system. I get more deeper base and also additional details in the overall spectrum.

If your system is already fine tuned, it will make a significant improvement.

Yes because of course more deeper base and additional details in the overall spectrum could possible be related this high quality outlet, as opposed to the one I can pick up at a hardware store for less than 2 bucks.

Last edited:
Just think of what kind of sound quality they would have if they collectively paid for upgrading the whole national grid system from the generator stations to their homes! :D

If that microwatt of power loss at the plug does so much think about what that gigawatt of losses must be doing to the sound quality before the power even gets to that gold plated plug.:eek:

Just spin the sound quality gains numbers the right way and we all benefit from retards with deep pockets and self proclaimed golden ear drums! ;)

I don't know what you are whining about... I put a bunch of these in my bathroom and now my wife's hairdryer sounds so much better! The harmonic frequencies shimer with clarity and low bottom end just reaches out and engulfs your ears!

But does the wife sound any better though? :D:p:rolleyes:

I've been thinking of making some gain controls that use the 10 turn pots so that they go all the way up to 100 and still have a fine resolution of less than 1 dial increment number. :p

Just think of the fine tuning accuracy you could have! :)

Only $10k each! ;)
Optional gold plating for only $1500 more! :D

Sites like this make me want to go on a homicidal rampage.
**broken link removed**
The smart person would say to himself "What else could these suckers use?" There must be a big market out there for snake oil that you can make right at home! How about magic antennas using fractal geometry? Oh? It's been done?

When I was a teenager I remember an old antique "Victorola" with a square cross-section wooden horn in the body of the cabinet, originating from the bottom of the hollow "tone arm". The horn had a little paper sticker on the inside that said "Made of the finest piano and violin sounding board". These marketing schemes have been going on since long before Edison, ergo: "snake oil"

That stuff is completely nuts, but there's a nut born daily to buy that nonsense. Those wood knobs will have me laughing during my entire lunch hour! It's just like the gold connections in the rear panel of a product. Unless the entire signal path is gold, it's nothing more than slick marketing and selling points to the sheeple. Audio General made a preamp that employed gold foil traces and gold contacts in switches/pots. Dunno what they soldered with... maybe silver solder? Esoteric audiophile equipment is priced way high to keep it out of the reach of the general consumer... it's for an elite club of baffoons, well some of it is... and some of the products are truly worthwhile and justify their price tag.

If you jack up the price high enough, someone, somewhere, will convince themself that it must be worth it, because they can see it and no amount of rational explanation will prove to them otherwise.

In other words......ever been shopping with a woman?

And no, you really don't want to find those receipts...

:D

Actually TCMtech, maybe not 10 turns, but I would like a multiturn POT for some audio volume controls. Specifically my car, it has a decent sound system, 99% of the time though it never goes past about 1/3 1/4 of the dial maximum, and that's still relativly loud. Even two turns for full volume would be nice. The volume knob on my home surround system has a knob like that that spins free, and it takes a decent bit of a turn to get it to rise a notch on the DB meter. Quiet nice for fine volume control when an accidental spin of the knob at the wrong time could blow out speakers or eardrums =)

The volume knob on my home surround system has a knob like that that spins free, and it takes a decent bit of a turn to get it to rise a notch on the DB meter. Quiet nice for fine volume control when an accidental spin of the knob at the wrong time could blow out speakers or eardrums =)
Rotary encoders are awesome...until they wear out :)

I will take a motorized pot (single channel) feeding an ADC input controlling volume digitally any day of the week. I also like the resistance feeling you get with a motorized pot. Few and far between these days, though. Much more expensive than rotary encoders (which are still nicer than stereo motorized pots, as the ganged versions I've found have poor tracking quite commonly).

Last edited:
The pioneer head units and most other aftermarket and even a few factory made systems have the multi turn digitally encoded volume knobs.

The pioneer ones (2900 series and similar) Need too much turning to get a volume increase in my opinion. Two or three full turns from zero to full volume seems about right to me. :)
Personally I rather prefer the button type volume controls provided they make the buttons big enough to find of course and dont use a 100 step incrementation from zero to full either. :(

Speakerguy, you do know they make optical rotary encoders right? =)
Again, specifically in my car the motorized pot just doesn't cut it, even a slight tap on the steering control is either too much louder or not enough quieter when you press it. It would be a trivial thing to add resistance to a rotary encoder if you wanted to.

Speakerguy, you do know they make optical rotary encoders right? =)
Actually I did, but I seemed to have forgotten when writing that post! I'm only 29 and my brain is going already :(

And I still like the heavy resistance feel you get with a motorized or one of the nicer conductive plastic pots. But after owning a receiver that had very poor L-R tracking at low volumes, I am very much against the dual ganged pots of any type.

Last edited:
Like I said, the mechanical resistance is trivial, it can be added with something as simple as spring and low wear material in contact with the rotor shaft. That's all that makes a POT drag anyways is the wiper contact. I would never recommend ganged pots in general.

I've always believed that if my scope or distortion analyzer doesn't show it, than I certainly can't honestly hear it -- it's subjective at that point.

Well, most scopes are 8 bit, so that's not great judge of something being audible. But if a good distortion analyzer can't measure it, then it sure as heck isn't going to be audible.

The smart person would say to himself "What else could these suckers use?" There must be a big market out there for snake oil that you can make right at home! How about magic antennas using fractal geometry? Oh? It's been done?

When I was a teenager I remember an old antique "Victorola" with a square cross-section wooden horn in the body of the cabinet, originating from the bottom of the hollow "tone arm". The horn had a little paper sticker on the inside that said "Made of the finest piano and violin sounding board". These marketing schemes have been going on since long before Edison, ergo: "snake oil"

Monster Cable, -'nuff said. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back