Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High-end soldering stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speakerguy

I'm trying to decide on soldering re-work stations by Pace, Hakko, Metcal/OKi, and Weller. I want multi-port, built-in vacuum system with a pencil iron and a desoldering gun. This would be the MBT-350 or similar from Pace, the FM-204 + iron station from Hakko, the MFR from Metcal/OKi, and I'm not sure what piece is equivalent from Weller. Tweezers would be a bonus too.

Does anyone have experience with these systems either through work or hobby and can anyone give me their thoughts on them? I have only used the Pace and OKi/Metcal.

Also, if anyone knows of a more soldering technician oriented forum where I could ask this, it would be much appreciated.

Hi. We used a Hakko 850 (soldering//desoldering) at work for several years. It was quite dependable and removed solder just fine. But they stopped making these and parts were no longer available when the pump went out (which had happened once before). I had discovered Xytronic while shopping on Ebay looking for a unit for home use and purchased a 988D. It was fairly inexpensive. When the Hakko at work went out I talked them into replacing it with this Xytronic unit. Parts are readily available for this from several sources. They loaded up on pump parts, you bet!

As an aside, I purchased a Xytronic hot air desoldering station for myself to do surface mount repairs and installations. It looked like the Hakko unit at work. The Hakko unit works a whiz, but the nozzles have prices guaranteed to give you sticker shock. The Xytronic came with five nozzles. They are cheap, cheap, cheap. They look like H*!!, and don't fit for a d*mn. Not that they fall off, but they are that close to it. The same Hakko nozzles were tried on this and they fit wonderfully. Perhaps Xytronic has improved these by now.

END 2 CENTS
kenjj

I have used Metcal since 1992, never looked back, never let me down. I love it. I use their soldering / desoldering station.

Have you considered JBC TOols? THey make good stuff.

Howard Electronics seems to be the best place to buy the stuff from if you're interested.

We use a Pace MBT-105. It's great. I'm ordering a new heater today because someone broke the heater assembly. It's at a college lab. But you can get boatloads of handpieces for Pace products. All the replacement parts are a bit expensive, however. Not sure about the others. Just my $.02

Mike

speakerguy79 said:
I'm trying to decide on soldering re-work stations by Pace, Hakko, Metcal/OKi, and Weller. I want multi-port, built-in vacuum system with a pencil iron and a desoldering gun. This would be the MBT-350 or similar from Pace, the FM-204 + iron station from Hakko, the MFR from Metcal/OKi, and I'm not sure what piece is equivalent from Weller. Tweezers would be a bonus too.

Does anyone have experience with these systems either through work or hobby and can anyone give me their thoughts on them? I have only used the Pace and OKi/Metcal.

Also, if anyone knows of a more soldering technician oriented forum where I could ask this, it would be much appreciated.

Just my 2 cents worth. I have been using Weller for over 40 years. Units made decades ago is still selling on ebay for a fair price because most spare parts are still available!

Something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back