Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HF multicoupler requesting comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

k7elp60

I recently designed this multicoupler for use on 3 to 30Mhz. It's purpose is to be able to use one antenna and two receivers. I am using the NE5539 as I had some in my personal stock. The NE5539 is used as a gain stage feeding some emitter followers.
My questions are:
1. Do I need a resistor between the output of the NE5539 and the input of the emitter followers to prevent oscillation.
2. Or can I just connect the output of the 5539 directly to the input of the emitter followers.
3. Are the bias resistors for the 2N2222 the right values?
4. Is the output impedance of the emitter followers 51 ohms?
Any and all suggestions welcomed.
Schematic and data sheet of NE5539 attached.
Ned

Attachments

• MULTICOUPLER SCHEMATIC.JPG
    MULTICOUPLER SCHEMATIC.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 523
  • NE5539.pdf
    170.4 KB · Views: 321
First of all, I have to ask the question, "What antenna will you be using?"

If it is anything other than a short wire or loop, I see overload and intermodulation rendering the whole scheme useless.
Feeding a 30 foot long wire antenna into the 5539 will almost certainly result in driving the amp into non-linear operation if it has any gain.

Depending on the antenna, I would just use a resistive splitter.

JimB

JimB said:
First of all, I have to ask the question, "What antenna will you be using?"

If it is anything other than a short wire or loop, I see overload and intermodulation rendering the whole scheme useless.
Feeding a 30 foot long wire antenna into the 5539 will almost certainly result in driving the amp into non-linear operation if it has any gain.

Depending on the antenna, I would just use a resistive splitter.

JimB
Jim, thanks for your reply. I plan to use the coupler between the 50 output of a auto tuned coupler and a pair of receivers. I think the most gain will be 6db.

You need a bandpass filter at the amplifier input. Use a passive splitter instead of the two transistors:
**broken link removed**
A better type:
**broken link removed**
Which is from this page about 1/2 way down:
https://www.w8ji.com/combiner_and_splitters.htm

Last edited:
k7elp60 said:
Jim, thanks for your reply. I plan to use the coupler between the 50 output of a auto tuned coupler and a pair of receivers. I think the most gain will be 6db.

Just one problem with that scheme, an auto tuning ATU requires something to tune with, ie a reasonably large signal from a transmitter.
You dont mention a transmitter.
Auto tune ATUs are no good for receive only applications.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back