Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hex Schmitt trigger invertor - use it for debounce switch, how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

manymany

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/on_semiconductor/MC14584B-D.PDF is my IC.

Story: I want to able/disable a signal sent to my device, so a toggle switch is added. To debounce switch, I tried putting a hex schmitt trig invert MC14584B, and my signal goes through schmitt trigger twice. Please Refer to my attachment. My set up has something wrong with it. When started, when switch is off, point A is 5V, point B is 0v, when measured with voltmeter. While voltmeter is still at point B, and I switch the switch off, the volt at point B remains at zero (but didn't jump to 5V on voltmeter). So I put voltmeter at point A, it read 0v. Then I put it at point B again, this time, it read 5V. Why is this happening? Why do I have to place voltmeter probe at point A and next point B, to get the desired reading at point B?

Some other question: Should I place a capacitor load (like as in figure 1 of page 5 of MC14584B data sheet)? What is the capacitor load for?

Attachments

• my set up.JPG
    my set up.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,363
Add a resistor (10k or so) between point A and ground, to pull the input to ground when the switch is open.

Floating inputs cause erroneous outputs...

You also must add a resistor in series with the input of the Schmitt-trigger inverter and a capacitor from its input to ground to act as a filter for the contact bouncing.

Attachments

• debouncer.PNG
    debouncer.PNG
    18.6 KB · Views: 1,015
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back